Join for free
Page 15 of 22 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Re: Barmier: "The EU will not move one millimetre"

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
So, our neighbour, Southern Ireland, is one of the loudest voices demanding that the UK should pay the vast silly money the EU is demanding. What a voice of loyalty to show after almost one pound in every four injected into the two state-backed banks by the Government went directly into the Irish economy during the Recession when the bubble burst. RBS and Lloyds used £14bn - more than a fifth of the £65bn UK taxpayers injected into RBS and Lloyds during 2008 and 2009 to save the skin of the Irish, the funds given were to write off billions of pounds of debt loaned to Irish commercial property developers and households in the "Celtic Tiger" boom years.
After the bubble burst, Ireland's banks brought the country to its knees and forced the government into a £56.5bn international rescue.

Yet here we now have this same country, that would have gone down the pan without the personal aid of good ol' UK, being happy to stab us in the back by being very vocal in condemning us for not paying up the fantasy figure to the EU. Thanks, Ireland!

But.... it made me smile when I read one of the headlines this morning - an Irish Agriculture Minister, one Mr Creed.

"We catch half our fish in UK waters - Irish Minister whines about UK's fishing claw back".

Should have thought of that before you decided which side you were on ey? Mr Creed .
It appears the Dutch and other EU countries are equally worried about no longer being able to fish in British waters too.

Who said we need them more than they need us????
I didn't know about any of that.

However, what it does show us is that no matter how much we help out others, the Irish, the French (in two world wars), all the countries that benefit from our foreign aid, we must not assume that they are going to return the favour in the future if we are ever in need.

Perhaps it is time that we started to look after ourselves: those who have fought for this country, for example.

Don't trust anyone. It isn't worth it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Could be a nice little earner if we rented areas back to them after we leave, maybe we could mitigate the cost of leaving
If we do Julie, then every penny should be ploughed back into the fishing industry. Since the EU countries plundered our waters, our fishing industry was decimated and yet countries like the Netherlands experienced a boom with a thriving fishing industry and bustling ports catching fish from our waters after emptying their own of stocks, the same with the Spanish and French. We had to watch our own industry die!

Betray our fishermen at your peril TM!! We want it back, all of it!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I didn't know about any of that.

However, what it does show us is that no matter how much we help out others, the Irish, the French (in two world wars), all the countries that benefit from our foreign aid, we must not assume that they are going to return the favour in the future if we are ever in need.

Perhaps it is time that we started to look after ourselves: those who have fought for this country, for example.

Don't trust anyone. It isn't worth it.
You are so right JBR.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 03:28 PM

If we do Julie, then every penny should be ploughed back into the fishing industry. Since the EU countries plundered our waters, our fishing industry was decimated and yet countries like the Netherlands experienced a boom with a thriving fishing industry and bustling ports catching fish from our waters after emptying their own of stocks, the same with the Spanish and French. We had to watch our own industry die!

Betray our fishermen at your peril TM!! We want it back, all of it!
Actually I'd vote for that the traditional industries were left to rot an absolute disgrace IMO I'd like to see our wool industries get help too we make fabulous wools but haven't invested in them in decades.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 12:34 AM

So, our neighbour, Southern Ireland, is one of the loudest voices demanding that the UK should pay the vast silly money the EU is demanding. What a voice of loyalty to show after almost one pound in every four injected into the two state-backed banks by the Government went directly into the Irish economy during the Recession when the bubble burst. RBS and Lloyds used £14bn - more than a fifth of the £65bn UK taxpayers injected into RBS and Lloyds during 2008 and 2009 to save the skin of the Irish, the funds given were to write off billions of pounds of debt loaned to Irish commercial property developers and households in the "Celtic Tiger" boom years.
After the bubble burst, Ireland's banks brought the country to its knees and forced the government into a £56.5bn international rescue.

Yet here we now have this same country, that would have gone down the pan without the personal aid of good ol' UK, being happy to stab us in the back by being very vocal in condemning us for not paying up the fantasy figure to the EU. Thanks, Ireland!

But.... it made me smile when I read one of the headlines this morning - an Irish Agriculture Minister, one Mr Creed.

"We catch half our fish in UK waters - Irish Minister whines about UK's fishing claw back".

Should have thought of that before you decided which side you were on ey? Mr Creed .
It appears the Dutch and other EU countries are equally worried about no longer being able to fish in British waters too.

Who said we need them more than they need us????
The Irish view on what we should do does make good reading , but little sense . All poetry in motion to keep the punters happy. I listened to Keir Starmer yesterday in the house, speaking in response to David Davies update on the negotiations. Starmer typically said absolutely nothing, other than knit picking a few threads of non important words with no material content whatsoever , that were uttered about 8 months ago, and trying to weave them into present day discussions. He was a complete waste of time, but that's ok. Carry on Starmer !
It has also been suggested that Ireland leaves the EU ! Ha, what a good idea.
That could solve all problems as with the problems the EU are facing, I doubt they will give a pip squeak about Ireland once the cards start to tumble and they'll all be clamoring to get into UK , maybe that's why they don't want the doors closed . Isn't that what usually happens when things get rough in their own homes...... ? Let us wait and see, because we can't always believe what we read, and all the media channels are trying to keep this Brexit thing on the boil one way or another so a few fake items here or there, will do the trick . They've not got much else to talk about in all honesty. I see Laura Keunsberg is back on tonight, She's had a long holiday but it hasn't changed her, still as irritating as ever !
Just worn the tips off my fingers, but you don't have to read it !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
The Irish view on what we should do does make good reading , but little sense . All poetry in motion to keep the punters happy. I listened to Keir Starmer yesterday in the house, speaking in response to David Davies update on the negotiations. Starmer typically said absolutely nothing, other than knit picking a few threads of non important words with no material content whatsoever , that were uttered about 8 months ago, and trying to weave them into present day discussions. He was a complete waste of time, but that's ok. Carry on Starmer !
That could solve all problems as with the problems the EU are facing, I doubt they will give a pip squeak about Ireland once the cards start to tumble and they'll all be clamoring to get into UK , maybe that's why they don't want the doors closed . Isn't that what usually happens when things get rough in their own homes...... ? Let us wait and see, because we can't always believe what we read, and all the media channels are trying to keep this Brexit thing on the boil one way or another so a few fake items here or there, will do the trick . They've not got much else to talk about in all honesty. I see Laura Keunsberg is back on tonight, She's had a long holiday but it hasn't changed her, still as irritating as ever !
I read it. Hope your fingers are OK!

I agree, by the way.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
In the meantime, those cheeky beggars have said that if Ireland became united, they would welcome Northern Ireland into the EU!!!! Talk about poking their noses in where not wanted!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Hi

I do like the boring bits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ns__rights.pdf

These joint technical papers are always published, so you can see exactly what is going on.

The interesting bits in this one are the Immigration bits, which show we will not a working system ready for 2019.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Hi

End of the latest round of talks and both sides have different views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41426620

Time is marching on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

End of the latest round of talks and both sides have different views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41426620

Time is marching on.
Politicians talk in riddles.

'Decisive steps forward' means nothing and I suspect that nothing much is happening, apart from Barmier insisting that we must pay his blackmail demands before he will discuss anything.

Yet another reason for us to walk.

Put in place everything necessary and walk away just as soon as we can.

May doesn't have the balls, of course, so I am hoping for someone stronger - a Brexiteer and not a remainiac - to take her place.

Page 15 of 22 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top