Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 12:08 AM

Re: The biggest problem with Soft Brexit is that it's not attainable

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

The problem being that our Politicians and Captains of Industry are not going to change overnight are they?

It doesn't matter whether they change or not. They will not be replaced with anyone more able to sort out the shambles way the country has been run for decades. I am sure it's not that people don't go in with good intentions. fabulous skills and keen intelligence, but that the shambolic system grinds all of the above out of them over time. You don't realise what's lurking under a rock until you lift that rock up and brexit is one big rock where we are suddenly looking at the way everything has been patched together and re-patched by successive governments over many years. Accountability seems a dirty word.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 12:16 AM

B b b but isn't it all going to be milk and honey once we are out?
Cloud cuckoo land here we come, tra la la la, twiddly dee dee!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 03:28 AM

You must accept that your Pensions should be cut, not increased, in order to balance the books.

I am quite happy to have my Pension cut by 20%.
Personally a hard or soft Brexit is not my concern but are you sure you would like your pension cut by a fifth?

This is a pension you have paid for all your working life surely? and to be frank it doesn't seem to be that much of a pension anyway, or at least not one you can live comfortably on. I could understand being a bit blasé about it if it was a non-contributory pension backed up with superannuation like ours but cutting one you have to pay for all your working life?

Does every pensioner feel this way just for an uncertain future outside the EU?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Personally a hard or soft Brexit is not my concern but are you sure you would like your pension cut by a fifth?

This is a pension you have paid for all your working life surely? and to be frank it doesn't seem to be that much of a pension anyway, or at least not one you can live comfortably on. I could understand being a bit blasé about it if it was a non-contributory pension backed up with superannuation like ours but cutting one you have to pay for all your working life?

Does every pensioner feel this way just for an uncertain future outside the EU?
Hi

Cutting my State Pension by 20% means I lose £20 a week after Tax, a sum which I can easily manage.

I would rather people like me, who have significant works and private pensions, have our State Pension cut, than those who are totally reliant on the State Pension.

It amounts to 3.5% of my weekly income after Tax, so yes, it is a price that I am willing to pay to leave the EU.

I have also consistently stated that I am willing to pay more tax to help those who are genuinely disabled and unable to work, to pay for those carers who have given up work to look after the elderly relatives or younger disabled ones.

I have a Social Conscience.

Extracting a penny more Tax from me to pay for those who can work but choose not to will be met with fierce resistance.

They can naff off.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 07:41 AM

Hi

Cutting my State Pension by 20% means I lose £20 a week after Tax, a sum which I can easily manage.

I would rather people like me, who have significant works and private pensions, have our State Pension cut, than those who are totally reliant on the State Pension.
So in reality your pension is not being cut by 20% merely your state pension. Not much of a sacrifice really is it?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
So in reality your pension is not being cut by 20% merely your state pension. Not much of a sacrifice really is it?
I am still working at fast approaching 70 years old to boost what small works pension that I have. The State Pension is not a benefit, we have all paid in for it, we are all entitled to it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 10:29 AM

It's easier to stomach tax increases and pension cuts if they are not the only source of income. It's all already cut because of sterling depreciation and inflation. Instead of passing this directly to consumers supermarkets are reducing portion sizes, content quality erc. So for example my value kitchen roll is a third smaller. That may seem trivial but if you are on a small income already then less for your money hurts a lot.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I am still working at fast approaching 70 years old to boost what small works pension that I have. The State Pension is not a benefit, we have all paid in for it, we are all entitled to it.
I agree with you there.
And the state pension is a disgrace anyway. You should not have to work until nearly 70 years of age to top it up.
You should be able to retire at 65 in at least reasonable comfort.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
B b b but isn't it all going to be milk and honey once we are out?
Cloud cuckoo land here we come, tra la la la, twiddly dee dee!
If we had some leaders with a pair of danglies, no reason it couldn't be Purwell. Trouble is, none of them appear to be up to the task.
TM gave the "impression" that she may be the one, but alas she is as spineless as the rest.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

20-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Hi

I agree with a lot of what you say fender.

The problem being that our Politicians and Captains of Industry are not going to change overnight are they?

If our Politicians were any good they would have pulled their finger out as soon as the referendum had finished and got things on the go.

They didn't, so now we are having to ask for and pay for a Transition Period, which offends the Northerner in me.

If we just leave on 31st March 2019 we will be leaving with not enough Trade Negotiators to get new Trade Deals, Liam Fox has admitted that, no way of collecting the tariffs from the EU and no way of controlling EU Immigration.

In other words, a complete mess.

The Government know this, which is why they are asking for a 2 or 3 year Transition Deal and offering to pay for it with our money.

They could have found the money we needed to get things ready but simply cutting the Overseas Aid Budget, which we are borrowing to pay or even something as basic as charging the 3 million or so Immigrants we have here for using the NHS, again something we are still not doing.

Basically we are starting a new business, without any staff, no means of collecting the money owed to us and promising not to undercut our main rival to drum up new business.

This not a good idea.
Which begs the question - why?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top