Join for free
Page 154 of 370 « First < 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Oh, the difference a day makes!

While I ran like an eight-year-old heading for lunch recess two days ago, yesterday I prepared to run feeling every second of my fifty-something years.

Sore in just about every place that a muscle attaches to bone , I faced yesterday's run trying to push aside any hope that I would be beating my own pacing records while knowing that nothing loosens up the soreness like - moving.

So out in the garden, after a quick walking/jogging warm-up, I stretched, bent, landed, twisted, and contorted until I was loose as a goose and ready to go, keys in hand off to the trails.

In this humid climate, it takes very little sea breeze to lift the moisture high enough for little cells of thunderstorms to pop up a few miles inland in the late afternoons. With their imposing wall of gray, letting loose the occasional lightning strike and roll of thunder, it crossed my mind that despite being "attitudinally challenged at 5' 4"), I would make an excellent lightning rod. Unfortunately, my To Do list is still long, forcing me to choose the trail of responsibility - the cloudless beach.

The shoreline is a great choice when the tides are low and the surface is firm, but recent hot weather and a lot of foot traffic left me staring ahead at three miles of loose and lumpy sand . Sigh. Best not to look, just go.

For five miles, with a tight back (what's with this forum theme?), I kept my eyes down, determined not to repeat my acrobatic antics from the day before, or otherwise land myself in the office of an orthopoedist. Hot, slow, and turtle-like, I made my way past the sea oats, over the crests of small dunes, and around tourists lazing with books and beverages.

Why am I torturing myself? Oh, yes, that's right...artisan bread, pasta, and the ability to drag myself vertical on a surfboard. Go...puff, puff...go....

Before I knew it, with sand in my running shoes, drenched hair, and a ridiculously slow time on my running watch...I stretched, stretched...

And then sat watching the surf - ebb and flow, ebb and flow.

At least I didn't fall .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 04:07 PM

You're all very busy!!

I've resumed my weekly congenial three mile walk.

And yesterday I went for a swim!
First one since two lots of surgery ...the last time was last October and I hadn't swum since the previous June due to surgery (lumpectomy)and I managed 26 lengths.
Yesterday was the first time since surgery next to my eye (bcc removal) I managed 24 lengths so I must try to go more often now I'm free from the surgeon's grasp!

I found it difficult to get my breathing right for the first 10 lengths and it seemed easier after that.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Ruthio!

I am so thrilled for you! That is some kind of resiliency to have come back from those surgeries, and then push through SO many laps on your first outing.

What a victory!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 09:40 PM

Ah but if only.........Although not a competitor these days I religiously read the exceptional tales of those that are running on sun kissed beaches, swimming in municipal pools, or lifting the equivalent weight of my SUV.....I salute you all...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

17-05-2018, 02:53 PM

"If only" will come 'round soon enough, OGF. The present finds you running a marathon, just of different sort, which is something you do very, very well.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Well I guess I had my sole few days on this thread last weekend when I went flat out with three sessions. This week hasn't been the case.
I've had to fit in three school runs due to various family upheavals (which is not for the forum) and with that happening at 3pm each afternoon there is no time for training, so I need to catch up. When that will be who knows...but I have my holiday happening in less than three weeks now, so I need to buff up, tone up and belly in sooner or later lol!

Suzie - sounding great still with the running, even though it sounds like it's been a bit of a slog this week. And those thunderstorms can't help much! Whatever, I know you're doing some form of exercising - you are compelled to (bit like myself on a good day!)

Ruthio - You're doing fantastic, girl. 26 lengths is more than I can swim in five year's worth of holidays!! Fantastic effort.
You've really taken on board those walking trips now too and met some new friends as a bonus too, so keep that going. Great stuff!

Nice to see you pop in, Bob. I can see you returning sometime soon as a regular in here again with your tales of cross-country jogging and avoiding farmyard hounds! Sort the kitchen, sort the physio and you're nearly there bud
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Aaaawwww thanks so much for the encouragement, Supermom, Floydy and Foxy, it's a great thread this

And I am in awe of your achievements!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Aaaawwww thanks so much for the encouragement, Supermom, Floydy and Foxy, it's a great thread this

And I am in awe of your achievements!!
You're doing very well, Ruthio.
And thanks for noting our achievements. I'm quite proud of my superbly honed and toned muscular physique actually
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

17-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
You're doing very well, Ruthio.
And thanks for noting our achievements. I'm quite proud of my superbly honed and toned muscular physique actually
Whew, that was hard getting around Floydy’s big head to read all these posts and report in. :Lol:

Ruthio, i’t so good to have your around, and I am in agreement about how enjoyable this thread is.

A slog indeed, Floydy, and I am just back from running in humidity and heat so high that I’m fairly sure that I swam rather than ran. After a dealing with a few mundane, personally bureaucratic tasks, this afternoon will find me on my little yellow surfboard gliding my way across a few hip high waves that some faraway Caribbean storm system has left behind.

Coincidentally, I’m also off on a little adventure of my own near the end of the month. That means shaving off three pounds and running every day but one between now and then. The last thing I plan to do is say no to all that Pacific Ring cuisine!

Anyway, I know you must be greatly looking forward to your time off - and you most certainly need and deserve it.

OGF has his physical therapy today…hope Kevin does his magic! I think I'm going to refer to it as his "spa" day .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Hello Floyd, just found your topic,i jog about 4x a week,i used to go to the gym,but then decided to buy a home gym,i have a twist and shape,5 minute pro shaper,i also lift weights,...i am so glad i keep fit,the benefits are enormous, ..but i also have to watch what i eat.

Page 154 of 370 « First < 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top