Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Re: How to deal humanely with a troll

Its the altruistic nature of the forum.
Different opinions is fine but those of a trollish inclination rarely contribute anything of interesting not being very bright sparks -they need to concentrate their limited intellectual capacity trying to derail topics by inane comments.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Ah if it were only that simple Muddy.
Sorting out the Troll once you've got one is the easy part. The hard part is to identify one in the first place. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a Troll. And somebody with less intelligence than yourself might appear to be awkward but in reality don't posses the necessary skills to put over their point of view (a bit like me really) I agree with Aysa, I have never encountered a Troll on this forum; perhaps one or two who make light of serious subjects or reply with answers a bit near to the bone. Remember the old saying......'It takes two to Tango' If nobody ever attacked the poster (instead of the post) then even on here it would restore tranquillity to the site......Not be as exciting though!

Love the poem Robert......One of my all time favourites.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:38 AM

I always get baffled and a little dismayed at threads about this.

I know we should all know what a Troll is.
But then we have the WUM .. and I get a little confused where exactly the line is between them.

Finally, once people start to complain about opinions they find offensive to the degree of having another member on ignore .. I really start to lose heart because I know I probably qualify for inclusion in that group, even though I could say I'm just stating my view.
I gain no pleasure in engaging in discussion if I discover it's not really what other members want to see or read, they may even dislike the poster who posts it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorting out the Troll once you've got one is the easy part. The hard part is to identify one in the first place. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a Troll. And somebody with less intelligence than yourself might appear to be awkward but in reality don't posses the necessary skills to put over their point of view (a bit like me really)
Yes OGF I did mention that in my first post.
There is a difference between awkwardness and trollishness.
Usually the content of the post.
The troll /Flamer is not really interested in the topic but in getting attention - for him/herself.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I always get baffled and a little dismayed at threads about this.

I know we should all know what a Troll is.
But then we have the WUM .. and I get a little confused where exactly the line is between them.
Indeed although WUM can ( but not always have an element of humour about them - trolls are failry unpleasant characters whose intent not to discuss but to derail.

Finally, once people start to complain about opinions they find offensive to the degree of having another member on ignore .. I really start to lose heart because I know I probably qualify for inclusion in that group, even though I could say I'm just stating my view.
I gain no pleasure in engaging in discussion if I discover it's not really what other members want to see or read, they may even dislike the poster who posts it.
In a discussion you cant always comply with what people want to see or hear. The onus is for them to engage or not.
I start threads and sometimes they take and sometimes they dont .People can easily ignore what they dont like .
Trolls however go all out to derail a thread while at the same time they rarely if ever start a thread or contribute anything of note.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Yes ..well ..I understand the theory.
But in practice it doesn't seem to work out that way .. people been people and all that.

After reading a thread in the Trash can about Essex Boys I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that decent, sensible discussion on this forum is just about dead for one reason or another.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How to deal humanely with a troll

First what is a troll?
Two types.

a)Someone who lives under a bridge and gives goats a hard time.

b)a forum pest

A troll is someone who persistently seeks to derail rational discussion with mindless abuse, needling or provocation.( flaming )
A troll is not someone who disagrees with you

How to deal with them

a) Leave to Big Billy Goat Gruff
b) Ignore

As they say don't feed the trolls. ( DFTT)
Trolls want your attention - they are desperate and cant get it any other way
The secret to withholding attention is consistency:
never respond.

Trolls are often disgruntled twits from another internet forum.
They usually give them self away by using the same old hackneyed style they have used previously.

Why should we deal with them humanely?

Because they are saddos - perhaps live lonely lives and nobody loves them
Well said, Mud. Although I've been saying the same for some time, you have said it much more eloquently!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Being a fairly amiable sort of old gal, I wondered if there was a sort of "Troll Rescue" they could be sent to for some rehab and eventual rehoming?
I am not Rehoming losers from this site thanks
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
IF

Rudyard Kipling

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools

There's 2 more verses, but I thought these were appropriate for the thread title
Thanks for that. I have always liked Rudyard Kipling's writings. Have you watched that excellent film 'The Man Who Would Be King'?

Back on topic, I suppose that we should be grateful that, when it comes to trolls, we have only a very few on here. Other fora are much worse.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorting out the Troll once you've got one is the easy part. The hard part is to identify one in the first place. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a Troll.
I agree. I have no problem with people who disagree with me. A forum where everybody fully agreed with each other would be a sad and boring place. I'm all for interesting debates.

Identifying them is really quite easy, at least I find it so. It takes several posts sometimes before they become clearly recognisable. It's not just name-calling either; that is just being rude and, incidentally, can be done in a humorous way between friends.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top