Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 10:28 PM

Re: Dementia/Alzheimer's

I was listening on the radio to the details of a new drug called aducanumab which is currently undergoing trials

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...st-news-for-d/

Apparently it has the potential to stop Alzheimer in its tracks if used following early diagnosis.

People are being recruited to take part in further research, details below.

https://www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk/
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was listening on the radio to the details of a new drug called aducanumab which is currently undergoing trials

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...st-news-for-d/

Apparently it has the potential to stop Alzheimer in its tracks if used following early diagnosis.

People are being recruited to take part in further research, details below.

https://www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk/
Very useful this, Meg. Thank you

Not sure if I'd put myself forward to be a guinea pig though
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Very useful this, Meg. Thank you

Not sure if I'd put myself forward to be a guinea pig though
Floydy I don't know the details I didn't progress that far but they may be looking for people with a family history of Alzheimers to be part of a control group which means they will just monitor you for possible changes in your health not giving you any medication .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Floydy I don't know the details I didn't progress that far but they may be looking for people with a family history of Alzheimers to be part of a control group which means they will just monitor you for possible changes in your health not giving you any medication .
Thanks Meg, I'll bear it in mind and I may ask my GP next week when I'm there with my ears.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Hi

My dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and Parkinson's at the same time.

He went from a very intelligent, very loving man to a gibbering wreck in four months.

He died a month later.

It scares me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and Parkinson's at the same time.

He went from a very intelligent, very loving man to a gibbering wreck in four months.

He died a month later.

It scares me.
That's a doubly cruel thing to happen to your dad, Swimfeeders. Sorry to hear that.
It certainly is awfully harrowing watching your dad deteriorate, the worst thing in my life.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 06:06 PM

This is a poem about Alzheimers. We should all read it.

Do not ask me to remember,
Don’t try to make me understand,
Let me rest and know you’re with me,
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I’m confused beyond your concept,
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.

Do not lose your patience with me,
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can’t help the way I’m acting,
Can’t be different though I try.

Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone,
Please don’t fail to stand beside me,
Love me ’til my life is done.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Met a man on holiday he was walking the South Downs with his father both singing at top of their voices, he said his dad could not name his grand kids and no longer knew his wife but could remember all the words to so many songs and he felt he had his dad back when they sang together. Brought tears to our eyes.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 07:01 PM

The ketogenic diet has been shown to be helpful in Alzheimer's patients (as well as those suffering other neurological conditions such as epilepsy).
Jennifer Eckles
New Member!
London
Jennifer Eckles is female 

18-09-2016, 11:06 PM

I've been following the ketogenic diet for some time. The way I do it is by intermittent fasting - for example, only eating during an 8 hour period in any one day and fasting for the remaining 16 hours of that day. I do feel so much more energised and clear-headed.

Another method that claims to help, among other things, Alzheimers, is the Buteyko breathing method, which I've been researching recently. This method teaches effective breathing which apparently, some people with degenerative illness (and other illnesses) do not do.

'Numerous medical studies have discovered that brain diseases (or disorders of the central nervous system - CNS) are possible only in conditions of chronic hyperventilation (the most likely scenario) or chest breathing and mouth breathing. All these respiratory deviations result in decreased levels of oxygen in the brain.

It is beyond doubt that low oxygen levels in brain cells have a profound negative effects on function of nerve cells of the CNS. Brain hypoxia leads to anaerobic cellular respiration, generation of lactic acid and free radicals, acidic pH cellular environment, chronic inflammation, inability of the immune system to heal injuries and many other negative effects (see the links to medical research below), that include possible formation of tumors.

'Well over 90% of modern people have abnormally low brain O2 and CO2 levels 24/7 due to chronic overbreathing.'

www.normalbreathing.com/diseases-Brain.php

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top