Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Night cramps.

I woke up at 4.30 this morning with the most excruciating cramp in my left calf muscle. No amount of pummelling and massaging helped. In the end I got up and pottered about. It went after about half an hour - not before it had ruined my nights sleep though!

I wondered if anybody else gets these night cramps and can anything be done to prevent it?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Re: Night cramps.

Yes, I get them too. I haven't done much research on it, but I found it eases the pain when I angle my leg up and push down with my foot on the mattress and keep the pressure on until the pain subsides. Also pulling my toes back in direction of my face does make a difference. I hope it helps you because I know from experience how much it hurts.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 09:57 AM

I get them, Carol. I find that they only go away if I get out of bed and stand up. Then I‘m OK and can get back into bed.
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:14 AM

I used to suffer terribly from night cramps and restless leg syndrome and it is now cured! Quinine is the answer. I visited the chemists about 10 yrs ago and talked it through with him. Although Quinine can't be bought nowadays he recommended that I buy tonic water at the supermarket but read the label first to make sure that quinine is one of the ingredients. I've found that the cheapest, usually Supermarket own brand contains the stuff and the more expensive brand names don't. Morrisons do a 6 pack of diet tonic water 250ml each bottle. It has worked for everyone I have recommended it to.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:25 AM

To ease a cramp in your leg at night, get out of bed and stand on your toes - works every time for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
To ease a cramp in your leg at night, get out of bed and stand on your toes - works every time for me.
....or stand a short distance from the wall arms outstretched hands placed on the wall. Bend your arms until your chest is touching the wall keeping your legs straight and stretching the calf muscles

I have a problem with pains in my hips which wakes me through the night
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Yes, I get them too. I haven't done much research on it, but I found it eases the pain when I angle my leg up and push down with my foot on the mattress and keep the pressure on until the pain subsides. Also pulling my toes back in direction of my face does make a difference. I hope it helps you because I know from experience how much it hurts.
I rarely get them nowadays, but, when I do, that's the trick I use, too .....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Just had a bad spell of them recently, and ive tried the tonic water and cranberry juice recommended to me by others on here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 03:26 PM

I was going to say tonic water too my husband swears by it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
I used to suffer terribly from night cramps and restless leg syndrome and it is now cured! Quinine is the answer. I visited the chemists about 10 yrs ago and talked it through with him. Although Quinine can't be bought nowadays he recommended that I buy tonic water at the supermarket but read the label first to make sure that quinine is one of the ingredients. I've found that the cheapest, usually Supermarket own brand contains the stuff and the more expensive brand names don't. Morrisons do a 6 pack of diet tonic water 250ml each bottle. It has worked for everyone I have recommended it to.
I agree Emerald although I get quinine from having a small amount of Indian Tonic Water every day. It seems to work, I haven't had cramp for a few years now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top