Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:34 PM

Have you ever rang The Samaritans?

Have you ever used this service? It may be a topic you find unappealing at Xmas. But for many Xmas is a time of intense isolation and people can feel very alone.While this service does help people I think it is sad it has to exsist. I have used this service at varying times I have found some Samaritans to be really good. The last time however was less so. If you have never needed this organisation good for you but who knows if you won't in the future. If you have called them I do not wish to know why unless you are happpy to share.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:31 AM

Re: Have you ever rang The Samaritans?

Came close once but eventually thought there are people need them more than me and I managed. It's disgraceful the cuts in mental health and the charities don't seem to attract as much support as say cancer so they struggle too.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Hi,
Yes I have used it but not for myself. I was very concerned about a homeless young man who appeared most days by my place of work. I needed to know the best way to approach him and ask if he would accept any help.

They were very kind and professional and asked if I was ok. Of course I was just concerned. As it happened the man in question would not accept any offer of help i.e. clothing or food , so not a lot to be done. I often wonder where he ended up as his legs were literally purple from the cold, jeans that were cut off at thigh level and the thread which had been keeping the front and back together, eventually snapped and the breeze blew what was now a skirt up and down by the minute.. That seems funny in a way,but it wasn't .Freezing cold and as he hobbled it looked more and more like a case for amputation. I hope he found help somewhere.

So they are there for different reason should we need advice. It's a good service and nobody should ever be embarrassed about using such services , they are there for everyone if and when needed.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Ive not used it myself ...yet but probably shouldve done in the past...I think for people suffering from mental issues(not just mental issues tho) it can be invaluable since services have been cut to the bone....if only for someone helpful to speak with and to advise you.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 01:18 PM

The Samaritans are people who give their time , freely, to help others, so for those who have no contact with other people they are essential.
Most people who call them are not suicidal, they are just crying out for help..... so maybe we should all be more considerate to those who are lonely or need help. We could all do more for a neighbour, who has lost somebody they live with,and it would only take an invite for a cup of tea to get them to talk about their feelings. It is also easy to notice people who feel down for other reasons, if you care enough to look.
I often think that, if you put yourself in the shoes of somebody needing help, it doesn't take much to understand how to help.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 01:18 PM

Yes, quite often when I was younger and not diagnosed

Many a night a voice on the end of the phone or a f2f at their offices has enabled me to still be here today
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
So they are there for different reason should we need advice.
PD the one think they are not there for is to give advice their maxim being 'Come quietly into my world and let me be' giving advice is not consistent with a 'Sams' training.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 01:59 PM

Yes, when I was about 18, for reasons undisclosed here. Sorry.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 02:36 PM

I called the Sams on a number of occasions during a long dark period in my life. I didn't speak to anyone at length but gained comfort from knowing that there was someone there when I struggled with wanting to leave the world but not my child .

I went on to become a 'Sam' volunteer for 10 years. My late cousin a teacher was also a Sam for 20 years having joined when one of her pupils a 15 year old girl lay down on a railway line.
I found it rewarding and was very reluctantly to leave but had no choice when my son left home and I couldn't leave my dog alone during 'overnight' duties.

There are a few misconceptions about the Sams, things to note..
... you don't have to be suicidal to ring them,
...they are there to listen not to offer advice,
...no 'issue' is too trivial or 'silly' to discuss,
...they are not there to persuade a caller not to take their life (thinking this is the case can deter people from phoning them) every caller is free to make their own decisions.

Often just talking a problem through can focus the mind and help a caller to find a solution.
Some people just need 'a hand to hold' while going through a crisis in their lives.
Whatever the reason for ringing, the Sam should always ask 'the question' are you suicidal to give the caller the opportunity to discuss any thoughts of suicide they may be harbouring but find difficult to put into words.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes, when I was about 18, for reasons undisclosed here. Sorry.
Same here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top