Join for free
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 08:12 AM

Green Tea

One to two cups of green tea per day is reported to be good for you. My question is - are they best drunk during the day, or can one be in the evening?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 08:35 AM

Re: Green Tea

I am drinking green tea ( well actually peppermint as green tea is so yucky) I have it at any time. I don't sleep well anyway so couldn't say if it effects sleep.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Hi Muddy, yes I don't sleep very well either. Probably from around 11.00pm until about 3.00am.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Green tea is so weak, I doubt it contains much caffeine, but this is only a guess. I drink green tea all the time and currently am using loose leaf but have not been able to find it in decaf. Green tea bags are widely available as decaf so should not affect sleep.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Usually have a cup early in the morning.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Sue and I attended a tea drinking ceremony when we were in China. The most exotic one offered, out of about 20 different types, was a flower which opened up in hot water and infused the water with flavour. Interesting to sit in on the tea drinking with turning the small bowl so many times in the hand etc etc.
Not that we bought any.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Realspeed, that reminded me of our tea ceremony when on holiday in Japan, the tea had a green scum on it, I just couldn't drink it but hubby was helping the demonstration and had to!

We had one of those exotic flowers served in our local Thai restaurant, I'd never seen one before, it was a real talking point!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Green tea contains about 70% less caffeine than your average cup of coffee, so if you want to reduce your caffeine intake then green tea is an option.

However . . .

Green tea contains two other stimulants in addition to caffeine. They are theobromine and theophylline which may affect heart rate and the central nervous system in a way somewhat similar to caffeine. They are also found in chocolate

The combined stimulant effects of the caffeine, theobromine and theophylline may be balanced by another substance in the teanwhich is the amino acid L-Theanine which simultaneously calms the nervous system and enhances concentration abilities.

As with all things pertaining to food and drinks, one can't generalise and make sweeping statements like "tea is good for you" or "green tea is healthy".

Everything depends on the providence of the product, how it has been produced, naturally or unnaturally, with or without chemicals and so on.

An example is Japanese green tea whose leaves are often treated with fluoride.

And as with all things which we believe to be healthy or want to be healthy, we have to treat them imo as . . living things . . and thus realise that extreme heat will "kill" the life (or the "goodness") therein.

In the case of green tea it is believed that boiling water destroys the flavonoids in green tea which is where its curative aspects lie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Theobromine is also poisonous to cats and dogs Arthur, so I wouldn't be making a cuppa for your dog if you have one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:01 AM

It's bloody tea not the elixir of life! who gives a stuff whether it has flavoids or fluoride in it? (The latter is in your drinking water anyway) it's the taste that matters.

I have a couple of types of green tea I like the "smoky" flavour; I also always keep a china tea (currently a lychee flavoured one) but if the truth be known I drink your ordinary Bushels tea most of the time. However as I drink at least 10 cups a day I have plenty of chance to fit them all in. (I never drink water by itself - fish do unspeakable things in it)

Chai is also a favourite but the only ones worth having require a trip to the markets so I don't always have it available, the supermarket variety is too bland.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top