Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Re: History- Robin Hood

I found this...
http://www.history.com/topics/britis...ory/robin-hood
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Good idea PD, Robin hood was one of my hero's.
I used to love history when I was young, lapped it up and believed every word of it was gospel, as I got older I realised most of it it was compiled to suit whoever was in power at the time, it has always been that way, who were the good guys and who were the bad guys? the real truth will never be known to us.
Even today things that I remembered have been covered up or changed to suit the authorities, things that happened say in the 1950’s/1960’s.
I just don’t trust history anymore, when I was in my twenties I would spend a lot of time talking to old people about the past, you can get some really accurate history when you speak to old people, but they can only go back so far, a pity.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Presumably (if he did exist) he was active (according to the myths) during the period between Richard 1st becoming king in 1189 and his death in 1199 - in particular the time when Richard was abroad involved in the third Crusade.
The Gest of Robin Hood, which is an extremely long poem/story is said to be relating to the 1300's and Edward III.

Although the tale is thought to have been written in the 15th century, it appears to be set in the 1330s or 1340s – that is, the early part of the reign of King Edward III
It is also thought to have been written by Stephen le Walleys whose father Richard le Walleys had married Eleanor de Bruce, widow of Sir Robert VI de Brus.
William Wallace as we know had connections with de Brus and he also disappeared off the face of the earth for a few years at the end of 1200's and early1300's before his capture. Oh and William Wallace also married Marion Braidfoot.and had a brother in-law by the name of 'Lyttle'

A lot more pages here , although it doesn't suggest William Wallace, that's just my idea;
http://midgleywebpages.com/skelbrooke.html#Sir_Richard
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Here is another version:-

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...nd/Robin-Hood/
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Here is another version:-

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...nd/Robin-Hood/
That's a good link, Silver Tabby.. Never heard of the Sloan Manuscripts before. Something new to explore..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What a great idea !
I don't know much about Robin Hood ( except I loved the film with Russell Crowe as RH) actually I love Russell Crowe in just about everything but that is neither here nor there .
I have seem Will Scarlett's ( supposed ) grave in Blidworth cemetery though.
Yes, I find the legend of Robin Hood a fascinating subject. I, too, believe it is unlikely to have been a single person, but a story using a single character to personify what were a number of such outlaws around in those days.

Sherwood Forest is likely to have been at least one of their haunts, bearing in mind, of course, that in those days that forest would have covered several counties and, thus, have been a perfect hiding place.

Talking of graves, by the way, you can see 'Little John's grave' in the churchyard in Hathersage in the Peak District. If it is in any way genuine, Little John must have been anything but little, as it appears to be about eight feet long!

There is also a supposed grave of Robin Hood on some private land in Kirklees Park Estate in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Years ago, my wife and I went for a walk there looking for the grave (known to be a Victorian folly) when we were taken to task by a snooty young woman who looked down her nose at us and told us we were on private land. In fairness, neither of us had seen any 'private' signs.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

30-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Looking for Robin and Kirklees Abbey, up springs this little bit.

In the 18th century, Thomas Gale, Dean of York, claimed to have found a poetic epitaph with the date of death given as 8 November 1247, which is the date in the modern calendar that corresponds to 24 Dekembris in the calendar in use in 1247. The language in which it is written is not classified as the received Middle English of the time, but English was then, as it is now, a language with great diversity and many dialects. It is also worth noting that the grave was restored in 1850. The epitaph reads:

Hear underneath dis laitl stean
Laz robert earl of Huntingtun
Ne’er arcir ver as hie sa geud
An pipl kauld im robin heud
Sick [such] utlawz as he an iz men
Vil england nivr si agen
Obiit 24 kal: Dekembris, 1247.

One mystery follows though :

Following her death, and during the reigns of Matilda and Stephen and the anarchy that ensued, the earldom was the subject of dispute between Maud's sons Simon II and Henry the prince, and was held by both at various times. In the reign of Henry II, following the death of Simon II, it was settled on the Scottish house, and the sons of Prince Henry: first Malcolm,[1] then William, then David. With the death of David's childless son John in 1237, the title was not passed on and became extinct.

So who in 1247 was 'the Earl of Huntingdon' said to be a Scottish title. and is the epitaph true , false of corrupted ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Looking for Robin and Kirklees Abbey, up springs this little bit.

So who in 1247 was 'the Earl of Huntingdon' said to be a Scottish title. and is the epitaph true , false of corrupted ?
Yes, that's the one.

As for the Earl of Huntingdon, I assumed that this referred to the Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire. I had no idea it was a Scottish title.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

30-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Maybe that's why everyone looks in the wrong place. The Earl of Huntingdon , according to this image is ancestor to Robert de Bruce. (which I have only just come across and would be anther step towards the connection between Robin Hood, Robert de Bruce and Stephen Le Walleys and William Wallace. (also referred to by William le Waleys)

Did William Wallace have connections to Scottish royalty ? He was extremely patriotic ?

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

30-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Personal seal of Sir William Wallace, found on a letter written on 11th day of October 1297, to the mayor of Lübeck, Germany.

This is around the time that Wallace went missing, (thought to be in France or Europe somewhere)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top