Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Should we abolish Charities?

Hi

A drastic step, but let's have a look at the situation.

Eton and Harrow are both Charities.

Why?

Some of the biggest Charities in the UK pay their staff far more than the Prime Minister earns.

This is not what Charities are about, or at least, what they should not be about.

I have no issue at all with local charities, all staffed by volunteers who receive nothing in the way of payment.

Eton, Harrow etc should not be charities, neither should any private schools.

The charities Commission needs to be abolished and replaced with effective regulators, no organisation should be allowed Charitable Status until it can prove that 90% of income is spent on Charity, not on expenses.

There should also be a cut off point, any money received and not spent within 2 years should immediately be forfeit and given to the NHS.

I am sure UJ would agree with this, ge is so against Tax Evasion.

It would also allow the Charities Commission to investigate outstanding cases.

Such as what happened to the Building Fund Money in Brighton?

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/wp-co...ember-2014.pdf

Half a million disappeared .

It needs a full investigation.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Re: Should we abolish Charities?

They are not exactly charities they have charitable status .
But I agree it doesn't seem right.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ritable-status
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:07 AM

No just because some abuse it why should all suffer, better to name and shame.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:11 AM

The trouble is the big charities handle vast sums of money they have to pay someone to handle it .I doubt there are many good accountants willing to work for nothing .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:17 AM

Hi

No problem with paying for accountants, but how many Private Companies pay their admin staff more than 10% of Income?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Charitable status isn't the same as a charity, while I do think worst excesses need looking at I can't imagine a world where we ignore suffering just because some people cheat a bit. Baby out with the bath water comes to mind.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-01-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Charitable status isn't the same as a charity, while I do think worst excesses need looking at I can't imagine a world where we ignore suffering just because some people cheat a bit. Baby out with the bath water comes to mind.
Hi

Charitable Status is exactly the same as a Charity.

Why should Eaton and Harrow be Charities?

The system is widely abused, Charities should give the vast amount of income to the Charity, not their own staff.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 12:12 PM

No really it's not the same, anyone can donate to charities, schools etc operate under a completely different model with fees for services etc.

I'm not sure any school should have that status but we can't ignore eg dog charities just because we don't like private schools.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 02:20 PM

The setting up of `charitable foundations` purely set up for tax evasion should definitely be abolished. Money to these foundations is drawn in with only a tiny amount being given to the charity they pertain to represent, the rest being used as income for the foundation's founders and employees.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-01-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The setting up of `charitable foundations` purely set up for tax evasion should definitely be abolished. Money to these foundations is drawn in with only a tiny amount being given to the charity they pertain to represent, the rest being used as income for the foundation's founders and employees.
The problem is we rely on some of them these days, an instance being private schools, many of them allow local schools to use their fields and equipment. If we take away charitable status I fear they may stop that. Many local schools need the private schools to help them.

It's not a good system but it's what we have to work with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top