Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 06:09 AM

Re: Should we abolish Charities?

My only objection to charitable status is that religions are automatically a charity with the resultant tax free status.

I don't mind that their charitable works have tax free status (though personally never donate to any religious charity) but alas their businesses do too. For example Sanitarium is a business owned by the Seventh Day Adventists and one of their products is the staple Weetbix - they compete against other businesses that do pay tax.

Personally I do not think that religious organisations should be tax exempt charities and certainly not their businesses.

Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Cass, there is much merit in your post and it is admirable that you contribute as you do.

However
(predictably) , I have a couple of small niggles ..........

"and what has changed?? Nothing, you are still here collecting for the same cause as 50 years ago."
Animal cruelty will never magically stop. Homelessness will always exist. Families will be robbed. Houses burn down. Natural disasters occur.
No charity can stop such things permanently - however well-managed they are.

" (a) History has taught us that much of the donations get misappropriated by corrupt governments, get used to buy arms or
(b) simply get swallowed up in administration so no I won’t give to these causes any mor
e"

(a) this seems to refer mainly to 'foreign aid' - government stuff - they are not likely to come knocking at your door.
(b) again, this is a government problem. For a charity to be approved to solicit funds from the public, governments should legislate that audited annual returns are mandatory and "expenses" only reasonable.
If the British government does not do that, well yes, expect charlatans to pop up.

To berate the poor bugger at the door without knowing their cause is bogus just seems a tad ..... unfortunate.
For all one knows, that collector may well be a hard-working volunteer who has sacrificed much for a cause.
Pre-rehearsed tirades from those who tar all with the same brush would be pretty depressing for a genuine worker.
I wouldn't blame them for giving up - and the world would be worse off.

Phew ...... !

I have a notice on the door asking them not to call. If they ignore it that is at their own peril.

Among the charities we do support are a couple of local animal charities , the local food bank and the salvation army.

I dont have a problem with charity as such but I hate the guilt trip that comes with it and I wont be pressured or bullied on my own doorstep.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Any organisation that handles large amounts of cash will have people that are on the fiddle. I feel sorry sometimes for the Chuggers who stand there all day collecting money towards the chief executive's new car.

Visiting my local supermarket or shopping centre is like running the gauntlet.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I have a notice on the door asking them not to call. If they ignore it that is at their own peril.

Among the charities we do support are a couple of local animal charities , the local food bank and the salvation army.

I dont have a problem with charity as such but I hate the guilt trip that comes with it and I wont be pressured or bullied on my own doorstep.
All of which is perfectly understandable and your absolute right, Cass.

Just that a couple of the arguments which you say you use are, in my opinion, a bit "iffy".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
So do I, right next to the doorbell, but a couple of days ago a couple still knocked on the door to tell me about their god. I am not rude but they don't stay long.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	150103 001 Doorbell.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2593  

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top