Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Political Suicide

Labour MP Tulip Siddiq resigns from frontbench over article 50 vote

"I do not support the triggering of article 50 and cannot reconcile myself to the frontbench position,”

In her letter to Corbyn, the shadow minister for early years said voting to start the process of leaving the EU would be a betrayal of her north London constituents, three-quarters of whom voted to remain in the EU.

So what is the point of taking up a career in democratic politics if, when the democratic process results in a decision you don't like, you then resign?

What would she have done at the next General Election if the party she didn't like won? Resign?

It's such a stupid and puerile response. EVERY politician, regardless of party, political view or persuasion, has an absolute duty to uphold and respect a democratic vote.

This politician was clearly in the wrong career.

It doesn't matter how her constituency voted, the democratic result was BRExit. If you can't accept the democratic process, GTFO of politics.

Her political career is surely over ?
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:15 PM

Re: Political Suicide

As a Labour MP her career is hanging by a thread anyway with Corbyn at the helm.

I wonder if she weighed up her options and decided to swim to safer waters.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:22 PM

Actually, I think she resigned from 'the front bench', presumably that is some sort of shadow minister job?

At least she is supporting her constituents. The ones I can't stand are those who go against the majority of their constituents' wishes because of their personal preferences.

They are in parliament because they were voted for by their constituents. They should be doing what their constituents want, not what they want.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Its about time labour resigned from government completely
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:33 PM

Yep but at the last General Election, presumably much of her constituency voted Labour and yet the Tories won. How come she didn't resign then?

You either respect and honour the democratic process or you don't. If you don't, you have no place in UK politics or Westminster.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:37 PM

unlike the others she didn't bottle it..

https://order-order.com/2017/01/26/clive-lewis-bottles/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
unlike the others she didn't bottle it..

https://order-order.com/2017/01/26/clive-lewis-bottles/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, I think she resigned from 'the front bench', presumably that is some sort of shadow minister job?

At least she is supporting her constituents. The ones I can't stand are those who go against the majority of their constituents' wishes because of their personal preferences.

They are in parliament because they were voted for by their constituents. They should be doing what their constituents want, not what they want.
I agree with you.
If it had been an election she would stay to represent her constituents in opposition.
I just wish it was Dianne Abbott instead.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-01-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I agree with you.
If it had been an election she would stay to represent her constituents in opposition.
I just wish it was Dianne Abbott instead.
Just listening to Abbott now on QT, and waiting for her to dig herself a nice deep hole!

Edit: a member of the audience has just said that Corbyn hasn't a clue. The look on Abbott's face: if looks could kill!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Her political career is surely over ?
I'm sure she'll find a welcoming home in the Tory Party or the Limp Dems.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top