Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 08:52 PM

do you havethe right to drive question?

Ok I would like to read what other think

Senerio Please read carefully first

Wife owns a car and has husband as named second driver on the insurance policy.

Husband drives car without asking wife first.

Can he be arrested for driving the car without wifes permission?

OR
AS a named second driver does he not need permission from wife as assumed permission is given by being a named driver on the insurance policy.

I asked Sue this and we couldn't decide
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Re: do you havethe right to drive question?

I'd say as a named driver he is covered as far as insurance goes...
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

02-02-2017, 08:56 PM

I would have thought that by the wife adding him to her insurance that she had given him her permission
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
I would have thought that by the wife adding him to her insurance that she had given him her permission
Yes I agree, surely the permission is understood?

Thinking about it...And even if they'd had a blazing row and she'd said "no you're not having the damned car today because I need it..." but he'd strode out and driven off in it anyway and crashed it... he'd still be insured!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:14 PM

You in trouble Realspeed?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:37 PM

Twocing is the term
Taking without owners consent.
One would assume a blanket permission.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:40 PM

I'd assume they have the right but depending how ferocious the wife was would determine if it's worth trying it
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Surely, in the eyes of the law, the car belongs to the wife and if the husband takes it without her knowing, then he has no permission to take it.
His name as second driver, on the insurance, is only there for cover in the event of an accident.
I added a boyfriends name to my insurance because I am diabetic, and if my blood sugars went low when I was out with him, he could legally drive us back in my car. He didn't live with me so if he had taken my car for a weekend, without my permission, I would think that he could be accused of stealing it.
It is unlikely to happen, but I would think the law would be on the side of the owner, no matter who was insured to drive it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Yes, I would agree with Twink, taking it without the owners permission would be a criminal offence. Even if the driver was named on the insurance it doesn't give them the right to drive it without the owners consent.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

02-02-2017, 10:30 PM

I suppose it would depend on the circumstances
ie if he takes the car to Brighton for the weekend and doesn't take his wife with him, then she will object and report it stollen if he hadn't her permission first, he would be in trouble, wouldn't he

yes I have changed my mind
adding him to the insurance gives him cover not permission

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top