Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 10:33 PM

Re: do you havethe right to drive question?

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You in trouble Realspeed?

No far from it. just occured to me how one would be legally.

So would the owner have to prove if permission was not given?

The named driver could easily say that permission was given.

Would it not be better to have both parties registered as joint owners instead of what we have now as just one owner?

Link
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm

quote "
In the case of a car used by a married couple, ownership of any property is usually classed as joint and if the husband was stopped driving the vehicle without insurance the police would probably accept that he was joint owner and not look to the wife for additional offences, such as owner permitting no insurance." unquote

So according to this, as long as the husband/wife is also named on the insurance policy they can drive without the registered owners permission.

Have I read that correctly?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 08:30 AM

I think you have read is correctly but, if it is a short term borrow, I think the police would not be interested and let you sort it out for yourselves.
On the other hand, if the husband had, without permission, taken the car for 2 weeks holiday in France... leaving the wife no means of transport to go and earn a living, I suspect that a good lawyer would be able to sue for loss of wife's earnings, because it was her car.
In these circumstances, if I was the wife, I would remove his name from the insurance, immediately, and report him for driving a car with no insurance to the police. Or better still, make sure the car keys were always in my possession.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Sounds like a marital problem .
I don't ask my husbands permission to drive the car although it is in his name.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 08:43 AM

I try to avoid driving the wife's car, purely because I have to wash it if I do.
Likewise, she avoids driving my workhorse, too much like hard work, and you get dirty if you brush against it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 02:33 AM

I have to say there is no problem in who drives either car between sue and I,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 06:24 AM

What a stupid system! my car is insured not the people driving it; as long as they have a valid driving licence anybody can drive it. If it is stolen and damaged the insurance still covers it.

The only thing that might change is the excess - on mine I think it is $1000 excess instead of $400 if the driver is under 25.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 07:01 AM

Hi

Yes it is a stupid system and yet another rip off example of the UK.

However, it is the system we live under.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 08:35 AM

The biggest rip off of all with car insurance of late is the policy surcharges. Firstly, as far as the DVLA is concerned, a speeding conviction is spent after three years, the Insurance Companies now consider it for five years, to levy the policy holder for a further couple of years, then there are the charges, for making ANY change to the policy. A couple of years ago, the we had a new car on order, but, sold our present one privately, one month before the new one came, eleven months had been paid on the insurance policy for the sold car, so, to keep it legal, we told the company we had sold the car, so wanted to cancel the policy, they said fine, but there was a £50.00 cancellation charge, I said that's ridiculous, the 12th and final payment on the policy was only £20.00, the extra £30.00 for the cancellation, made a 10% difference on the policy price overall, and made a mockery of the price comparisons done at the start of the policy.
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:20 AM

The question seems to have different answers in different countries. In Saudi Arabia, it would be clear, the woman cannot drive the car.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top