Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 02:29 PM

Re: Trump's 'state' visit

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
Brits should be appalled that a schoolteacher born and spending all his life in the UK is subjected to this discrimination.

If you allow this then you give the US carte blanche to deny all Muslims from anywhere the right to travel to the US...and that is contrary to the First Amendment of the US Constitution as well as any document having to do with human rights.

He had been given a visa. Surely that is where any suspicious details re discovered...I have just filled such an application out myself. If he was OK to go when given a visa he should be OK to enter the US. That is what a visa is.

And of this is the US govt running like clockwork, pull the other one. It clearly is not.

To honour such a "leader" is just embarrassing.
Many of us would be very unhappy if USA or anyone else tried to tell us who we can let into our country, each country has its own immigration policy and much as I dislike anything stopping one religion travelling it's not for me to tell USA they can't do it.

If I wanted to go to Australia for instance I'd be subject to checks might be refused entry. Fair ?not really but its for them to say who enters their country.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 07:42 PM

I could be wrong BUT

It looks like the Airline did this and not the Americans when the plane landed in Iceland.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 12:23 PM

The airlines work to national requirements.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many of us would be very unhappy if USA or anyone else tried to tell us who we can let into our country, each country has its own immigration policy and much as I dislike anything stopping one religion travelling it's not for me to tell USA they can't do it.

If I wanted to go to Australia for instance I'd be subject to checks might be refused entry. Fair ?not really but its for them to say who enters their country.
Not if the refusal is illegal.

as this was.

BTW just as an aside did you know that all visa applications done by internet (ESTA applications) are processed in India and you are asked to OK currency conversion to rupees??

So an internet application to enter the country isn't even dealt with in that country!
Flicker
France

23-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
One salutes the RANK not the person.Any one with former Military Service know's that.
Well according to the British understanding of the term "democratically elected", he wasn't.

and the govt hierarchy is not the military.
Flicker
France

23-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
Simply put we don't want to be overrun with immigrant's,refugee's,any one else that is going to be a burden on our Social Services.We have enough Deadbeat's,We have millions of Illegal Mexican's,that are Taxing that system now,with fake document's.Enough is Enough.
We know Trump and he will err,but so far he has Kept his word on his Campaign Promises,That alone is Rare.But he isn't a Professional Politician.
The liberal's will whine and cry as always,as they are Never Happy anyway.F#%@ em.
I don't care what you do inside your country as long as it is legal.
Not even the Chump is above the law. As he is finding out.

BTW what is this about sending back non Mexicans to Mexico? I think you will find that is illegal too...not even Hitler tried that one.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 01:51 PM

Getting back to the topic of Trump's State Visit - did anyone watch part or all of the Commons Debate about it, broadcast in full from Westminster Hall?

If so, what did you think?

I finally got round to watching the full debate last night and am struggling to see the point of having it - I suppose it allowed MPs with strong feelings to air their grievances but it didn't really serve any purpose, other than paying lip service to this idea that the public get to have their say via public petitions to the government.
None of the major Government bods, such as May & Boris, were there and there was no vote at the end of the debate. It had as much impact as the debates that rage on forums like this one. There seemed to be a majority of those present against Trump coming for a State Visit but the Deputy Foreign Secretary stood up at the end and confirmed the State Visit would go ahead anyway - which everyone knew was a foregone conclusion - they'd already announced this beforehand, so why debate it for 3 hours?

I had to agree with one of the speakers (an ardent Clinton supporter) who said that it was important to maintain good diplomatic relations with the USA, whatever we think of Trump.
He pointed out that if we cut Trump off completely, we have no chance of being any kind of moderating influence and we would just have to sit on the sidelines, watching the Trump/Putin love affair from afar. (I'm paraphrasing here - he didn't actually say those words!)

After listening to the whole shebang, I'm still of the same opinion as I was before.
Inviting him for the full Honour of a State Visit so soon was a mistake and we didn't need to do that but, once the invitation was issued, retracting it would cause grave offence and be an even bigger mistake.
We'll just have to grit our teeth and bear it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 09:59 PM

I didn't watch the debate Boots, but I did read most of the transcript and have come to the same conclusion as you. There seem to be many more present that were against the state visit than there were for. It would appear that the decision had already been made and the debate was a high visibillity exercise to satisfy the petition signers that something had been done.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
I don't care what you do inside your country as long as it is legal.
Not even the Chump is above the law. As he is finding out.

BTW what is this about sending back non Mexicans to Mexico? I think you will find that is illegal too...not even Hitler tried that one.
What Trumps enforces is the LAW,it has been around forever.What a liberal from France thinks is of no matter to anyone but her/him.You cannot dictate way's and means,you don't live here nor vote here.Trump was legally voted in as POTUS,like it or lump it as the saying goes.

As far as petition's in G.B.,who can take them serious as anyone can write in as many times as they want.Were I Trump I'd skype the visit because he has a sh^$ pot full of Mexican's to see booted out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Hi

Trump is POTUS, the President of the USA, democratically elected, in spite of what Flicker says.

He is to be respected as such.

He is not a professional politician, quite frankly voters in many Countries are fed up with the Political Elite.

He will make many mistakes, he is a business man, used to doing things quickly, he will learn but still be different.

He is a xenophobic misogynist according so me.

Compared to some of the absolute scumbags we have had here and in France, he is a pussycat.

At least he has no intention of stopping women from driving.

Illegals?

I fully support him, out they go, we should do the same here.

I have no issue with those who go through the correct procedures to be here.

Illegals I have absolutely no time for at all.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top