Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Re: Petrol or diesel car choice???

We've got one of each at the moment I'm trying to convince my husband to sell his diesel, it worries me well get stuck with it if the government decide to make it more expensive to tax it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We've got one of each at the moment I'm trying to convince my husband to sell his diesel, it worries me well get stuck with it if the government decide to make it more expensive to tax it.
It's not just the road tax, it's the several councils who are planning to charge extra for diesels to park.

Money grabbing left-wing councils again.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Here in the Uk according to the news Diesel cars are being sold in less numbers than petrol.
Can't be because of exhaust emissions for example mine cuts out when stopped to help prevent and the one Sue is geting the emissions are so low it doesn't even qualify for road fund tax, both diesel.

How can anyone justify petrol over diesel? take a Range Rover petrol doing 18 MPG against a diesel doing 60/70MPG.
The arguement just does not stack up.

That is our choice to go diesel,but I would be interested in members thoughts about it and how they came to that conclusion .
Petrol or Diesel?
Your figures are stupid...any chance of a link to back that up.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Yes
check link

http://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/...mic/index.html

RANGE ROVER SVAUTOBIOGRAPHY DYNAMIC

Fuel Consumption (Urban) (mpg)

against quote

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civi...rformance.html

Manual
Diesel
120ps @4000 rpm 76.3-78.5 mpg 94-98 g/km

there you are Galty, not so stupid are they!!!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 10:55 PM

Maybe......just maybe galty misread and thought you were suggesting the RR diesel was capable of 60/70mpg????

That's what I thought upon first reading it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 11:40 PM

I've just got my road tax reminder today - thieving gits are charging me £130 for the year even though it's a 1.7L low-emission diesel.

Still cheaper than my van though. My van is a 1.8 diesel and they rip me off to the tune of £220 p.a.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 01:24 AM

zero road tax on Sue's Honda Civic ,and it is 1.6 ltr version as well
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've just got my road tax reminder today - thieving gits are charging me £130 for the year even though it's a 1.7L low-emission diesel.

Still cheaper than my van though. My van is a 1.8 diesel and they rip me off to the tune of £220 p.a.
Thats the same for my vans.......though I'll be down to the luxury of one van in a couple of weeks.

If you feel robbed by car tax try this one.....the RX8 was classed as a 1.3 until DVLA deemed them to be a 2.6 and loaded the tax.......now a whopping £515.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
zero road tax on Sue's Honda Civic ,and it is 1.6 ltr version as well
Is that a diesel?

Generally, I am in favour of diesel engines mainly because of their simplicity (and they can burn chip oil!).

Are diesels noisy? Mine isn't, or at least not very much louder than petrols, especially those that the yobs charge around in with the holey exhausts.

The only drawbacks are government imposed restrictions.

Cats and DPFs, for example, are not necessary. In any event, my car doesn't have any and runs perfectly well.

More tax on diesel fuel is just money grabbing: diesel requires much less refining than petrol, so should be cheaper to produce.

Councils threatening higher parking charges for diesels is also an example of unsubstantiated money grabbing.

I can't believe that my car is causing poor polar bears in the Arctic to find it difficult to find food.

When I bought my diesel car, the government encouraged it saying it was a more healthy option than petrol.

Now, apparently, petrol is more healthy than diesel.

Next year.........?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2017, 11:45 AM

Actually I should have mentioned my Isuzu Dmax doesn't have a DPF, so it is not a worry. Vehicles like Toyotas Hilux have a manual cleaning cycle that can be done at idle while Mitsubishi Tritons and Ford Rangers need to be driven above 50kmh for the system to activate which is a stupid system for cars that get a lot of bush driving though if you hold it in low range the Ford can get away with 30 -40 kph.

As for Volkswagon Amorak well... Anybody buying a VW in this country needs their bumps felt, low sales, poor service and low customer satisfaction being their trademark.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top