Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 05:54 AM

Re: Make Australia Great!

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I've found temps here in Oz very misleading.A mid 20 day can be very humid and the Australian sun can be very hot even if there's a cold breeze.
Generally speaking humidity in Australia is low, in fact it is this dry heat that makes for bush fires (as soon as the humidity rises the bush fire danger diminishes) but also makes 35° in Orange much more bearable than say 25° in London with it's high humidity.

This recent heatwave did have high humidity which was why it was particularly uncomfortable but low humidity is the Australian norm.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 03:41 PM

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguilla...gYP#.lnwevWnp7
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Generally speaking humidity in Australia is low, in fact it is this dry heat that makes for bush fires (as soon as the humidity rises the bush fire danger diminishes) but also makes 35° in Orange much more bearable than say 25° in London with it's high humidity.

This recent heatwave did have high humidity which was why it was particularly uncomfortable but low humidity is the Australian norm.
Perfectly true, Bruce.
But how can one argue with someone who has never been here ?

OR if they have, they've been to a city for a week or two - or are too thick to appreciate our history, our language, our culture, our politics, our multiculturalism - or even our geography ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:31 PM

Must admit, I love watching the programme "Wanted Down Under" where it shows families given a week to spend in Australia or New Zealand and then vote as to whether they will move or stay in the UK.
They split the programme into five categories. Housing, Work, Lifestyle, Cost of living and Family reaction to their decision whether to move or stay.

I have to say, the 3 homes that they show which are within their budget or just above are fabulous, so modern, open-plan, spacious, some with swimming pools, beautiful outdoor dining spaces with laid lawns. One would undoubtedly get much much more for their money than they would back here in Blighty..
The Lifestyle is fantastic too, so many beautiful sandy beaches, open parks, wonderful nature walks and gorgeous sunshine for most of the year.
The cost of living tends to be a little more expensive for a lot of things that we can get more cheaply over here, such as staples like milk! Mortgages however are cheaper and rentals that we pay here would get you a fabulous home over there with everything that you could want to live a wonderful life.
Work prospects seem excellent, with salaries paid a lot more than given here.
The schools look terrific, very modern, with academic teaching that are second to none.
Most of those on the programe end up emigrating to Australia, even after tearful pleadings by family not to go.

However...... A great many of those who take the plunge decide that the Aussie way of life is not for them and return home within a couple of years if not before.
These "Ping Pong Poms" as they are referred to by Aussie's site reasons such as:
The sandy beaches are all alike and become boring after a while.
They hate the commuter travel on baking hot trains for 2 or 3 hours.
They hate the creepy crawlies,
They found that every town looks and feels the same.
They found that the Aussie society had no real innards to it, and missed the real greenery and the seasons of home, but the most given reason for wanting to return is of course that they missed their families, their city, town or village and the way of life they left behind.
Mind you, it is said that many returning Poms make sure they gain Australian citizenship so that when their parents have departed and the kids have grown up, the lure of those beautiful homes, beaches, nature walks and reserves plus of course their gorgeous weather once again beckons to them, they will have no problem returning again.

What a life. Wish I had gone with the £1 lot!!!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:40 PM

The Australian lifestyle is wonderful for Brits sort of the Uk with good weather I have spent quite a lot of time in Australia I once drove from Perth to Darwin and have been fortunate to see a lot of this beautiful country.
My son is Australian and all being well I shall probaby go back there next year.
Most of my Aussie friends live out in the country but the cities are interesting too. Perth is or at least was supposed to be the best place on earth to retire so well did it cater for its oldies .
Of course there are some disadvantages there are a lot of things that do seem inclined to kill you crocodiles sharks the box jellyfish etc and on land spiders and snakes that are in fact best avoided at all costs .
And then there are boorish bogans about and unfortunately some of the men have inferiority complexs and simply can't deal with intelligent articulate woman .
Apart from that all is bonza!
I wish in many ways I had emigrated years ago .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Bruce you must live just around the corner from my cousin in Sydney. You could pop in and say hi from me. it is only about 70 miles away or about 1.5 hrs. Sure she would love to see you
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 06:45 PM

It hit 47 degrees in Sydney today.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I find the heat so much better than cold air and damp air.

I like the heat in Spain mainly because it is so dry with all the salt lakes about near where I visit.
Apparently it is the most healthiest place in Europe for people with breathing difficulties.
So I am guessing I would like the heat in Australia.
Torrevieja?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by tpin ->
torrevieja?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I developed Asthma in my 40s and find the Spanish heat(I have a place near Marbella) is fantastic for my breathing...a much drier and clean heat.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top