Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

13-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Has anyone here had an MRI scan

Has anyone here had an MRI scan
I have to have one and the lady who booked it for me said it would take an hour and a quarter
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Re: Has anyone here had an MRI scan

Yes, it can take up to that. I have had two. They give you headphones to wear but my first lot weren't a tight fit, but on the second one I had a tight fitting pair. I also put in wax earplugs because it is incredibly noisy!!! And I do mean noisy.

My way of coping was to keep my eyes completely closed all the time I was in the machine, and I sort of used relaxation methods of keeping calm. Just repeated phrases in my head...'relax' 'it won't last long'. Etc. Or try to use distraction methods, like thinking of things you need to do, want to do, anything to stop you focussing on the noise.

Sorry if this answer will frighten you but it may help to be aware of what it'll be like, and to prepare beforehand.

Good luck.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 09:51 PM

Hi Meeps I have had an MRI , I think I was in there for about 5 mins.
You just lie back and put your arms behind your head, it is not at all unpleasant.

They allow lots of time because time is precious with scanners and if an emergency comes in it takes precedence over routine scans .
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

13-02-2017, 09:56 PM

Thanks Jazzi and Meg
haven't you got to lie perfectly still, how can you do that for over an hour, what if you need to cough
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
Thanks Jazzi and Meg
haven't you got to lie perfectly still, how can you do that for over an hour, what if you need to cough
Meeps how long you are in the scanner depends which bits you have scanned details here ...
http://www.advancedimagingofmt.com/i...p?page=mri-faq

I had my lungs scanned and it felt like 5 minutes
It was less uncomfortable than the opticians appointment I had last week where I had stinging eye drops put in my eyes.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

13-02-2017, 10:08 PM

its my spine they want to scan, will look at the link now Meg
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:12 PM

I have also had an MRI scan, mine took approximately 3/4 hour. As Jazzi has said, it is noisy, a bit like lying underneath one of those pneumatic drills they dig roads up with, but the noise is only in bursts, it isnīt continuous. I too had earphones. The position they put you in I guess depends on what part of the body they are scanning. In my case it was my neck and arm. The arm was put into position and a sort of cage thing put over it, the other arm was laid across my chest with my hand clutching the panic button they gave me. The earphones were evidently supposed to be playing music, but I didnīt hear any. Iīm really claustrophobic but I survived it, just lay there with my eyes closed. My legs were a bit wobbly when it was over, but it wasnīt as bad as I expected it to be.

I did wonder, still do, how they get very large people in those machines, the bed they slide you in on is very narrow and inside the "tube" it seemed very narrow too, there was very little room either side of me and Iīm only small.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meep ->
its my spine they want to scan, will look at the link now Meg
Meeps the trick is to lay back, close your eyes and imagine you are walking on a sandy beach under a blue sky. Can you hear the waves and see your footprints, look hard you may see dolphins
Before you know it the whole thing will be over.
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

13-02-2017, 10:15 PM

clumsy, did you manage to lie perfectly still for all that time

you see I have asthma and can't imagine not wanting to cough if I am on my back
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:34 PM

I did manage Meep. Iīm sure if you have a word with the technicians when you go for your scan they will put your mind at ease about matters like coughing.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top