Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Re: Workhouses

I have no family history of the workhouse but I have visited one-now a museum. Bloody grim. But it`s all in context,times were hard for the poor.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Work houses were always situated about a days walk from each other, similar to Youth Hostels, many itinerant workers used to walk from one to another. How they knew where the work was I have no idea, probably some form of "tramps sign" or bush telegraph.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:28 PM

I look back with disgust at our governments and councils , I can't Immagine the horrors of the workhouse , those poor souls , those poor children . Those responsible for the horrors and cruelty , for the pain loss and hunger , I wonder if they can rest .

The fear the workhouse put into people , even just the threat of it .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:37 PM

In between WW1 and WW2 my dad was "on the road" after being de-mobbed from the fledgling RAF. Workhouses as such were no longer in existence, but he told me there was always someone in the vicinity of them who would help a traveller.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I know of several hospitals which began life as workhouses which, I suppose, makes you wonder whether those hospitals would ever have existed if it hadn't been for the pre-existing workhouses.

I can see how workhouses would have provided some sort of safety-net for people who would otherwise have died. On the other hand, I have never really understood the need to break up and separate families.

Even if they were obliged to sleep in separate quarters, why couldn't they at least have been allowed to meet with each other for non-working hours?
So cruel
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have no family history of the workhouse but I have visited one-now a museum. Bloody grim. But it`s all in context,times were hard for the poor.
Where was the workhouse/museum OFG ?

The hospital where my sons were born, had previously been a workhouse. At the time I didn't know, which makes me feel better.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I look back with disgust at our governments and councils , I can't Immagine the horrors of the workhouse , those poor souls , those poor children . Those responsible for the horrors and cruelty , for the pain loss and hunger , I wonder if they can rest .
Of course they can rest. You can judge past practices, policies and institutions by our standards, but it is foolish to judge the people of the time by the same standards. Most of those who either instituted or administered workhouses (or other Poor Law institutions we now see as barbaric) were fine upstanding Christians who saw themselves as doing the best they possibly could for the undeserving poor. Indeed, the workhouses were seen as a great and beneficial improvement to the previous systems.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Of course they can rest. You can judge past practices, policies and institutions by our standards, but it is foolish to judge the people of the time by the same standards. Most of those who either instituted or administered workhouses (or other Poor Law institutions we now see as barbaric) were fine upstanding Christians who saw themselves as doing the best they possibly could for the undeserving poor. Indeed, the workhouses were seen as a great and beneficial improvement to the previous systems.
I agree.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Has anyone heard of the Williamson Tunnels , created by philanthropist, Joseph Williamson ?

He was responsible for a labyrinth of tunnels which are still being discovered, under Liverpool. No one knows where they go to or how far. There are tunnels built on top of tunnels. Quite amazing.

It is a strange story indeed and so far, nobody really knows the reason why they were built or by whom, but it is suggested it could have been the men returning from the Napoleonic wars.

That could fit in with the workhouses in Liverpool , he may have provided employment for the men from the workhouses, or simply for the men returning so that they didn't have to enter the workhouses.

At some point in the 1800's ,Brownlow Hill workhouse, housed almost 2000 people. The stench must have been heavy.
Smithdown Lane , where the tunnels began , was only a stones throw from the workhouse.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 05:40 PM

Brighton had a huge workhouse - converted into a hospital. During WW1 it was used by the Indian army as a hospital for the Indian troops, but my Grandmother knew it for what it was - the workhouse.

When my Grandmother was taken ill in 1972, she was terrified of being taken into the hospital always saying she didn't wantto be taken to the workhouse!!!

Here are some of the photos of the place:

http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?q=...ustomffocuk-ff

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top