Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Re: Do our Doctors lack knowledge or finance?

MIL told wifelet the best form of contraception is to keep a ha'penny between the knees. Might help with bad backs then, but not headaches.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 01:40 AM

Omega 3 fish oils have been found to have a similar effect in reducing inflammation as NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. So worth taking a supplement. I used to get arthritic type pain in my hips and knees in my 30s. Cod liver oil made a big difference but having to give up gluten seems to have stopped me having joint pain too. I tested negative for RA years ago and was told I had early osteo, but for years now no symptoms so I think diet has a lot to answer for. It's reported that sugar, saturated fats, refined carbs, MSG, gluten, aspartame and alcohol can all trigger inflammation. But diet changes are no fun and take a bit of time to kick in.

You probably have relief once you start moving because the surrounding muscles are supporting the spine but in bed they are relaxed so it sounds like your mattress isn't helping & is maybe too soft. Worth asking your doctor to refer you to a physiotherapist for advice on exercises to strengthen the surrounding area and if you can afford it maybe going for one of those memory foam beds that mould to your body. A friend has one and when I slept on it felt a bit weird but I had a great night's sleep. They are pretty pricey though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Omega 3 fish oils have been found to have a similar effect in reducing inflammation as NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. So worth taking a supplement. I used to get arthritic type pain in my hips and knees in my 30s. Cod liver oil made a big difference but having to give up gluten seems to have stopped me having joint pain too. I tested negative for RA years ago and was told I had early osteo, but for years now no symptoms so I think diet has a lot to answer for. It's reported that sugar, saturated fats, refined carbs, MSG, gluten, aspartame and alcohol can all trigger inflammation. But diet changes are no fun and take a bit of time to kick in.

You probably have relief once you start moving because the surrounding muscles are supporting the spine but in bed they are relaxed so it sounds like your mattress isn't helping & is maybe too soft. Worth asking your doctor to refer you to a physiotherapist for advice on exercises to strengthen the surrounding area and if you can afford it maybe going for one of those memory foam beds that mould to your body. A friend has one and when I slept on it felt a bit weird but I had a great night's sleep. They are pretty pricey though.
Thanks for all that info Annie . One thing I am fairly certain about , is that my mattress isn't the problem, so I can rule that out.
I am diabetic so the Carbs, you mentioned, could be part of the problem,but I have to have them to balance my insulin! I had never considered Omega 3 fish oils... so I think I will try them first.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2017, 01:12 PM

If you have diabetes then you should check with your doctor before taking fish oil supplements. My dad had type 2 and I'm always careful with diet because of that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Hi Twink

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I'd like to recommend that you give up gluten for a short while. Maybe just 1 to 2 weeks. It's not a bad thing to do anyway and I have a feeling you might get a lot of relief. Can't say more than that really, just give it a go. ATB
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions, I got more help from you lot than I did from the NHS.
Progress so far:-

1)Sadly the pillows didn't help, but they would have been the easiest option.

2) OGF suggested pulling my knees up to my chest, and it seems to have reduced the pain, without having to get up and walk around. I am going to continue this and maybe try Longdogs idea of pulling my shoulder back too. So far I have managed to stay in bed and get another hours sleep on 2 days, with this idea.....but he hasn't come round to give me the massage yet!

I will try these for a couple of weeks and, if they work, that will be great. If they don't I will then try the dietary suggestions.
I will keep you all informed of my progress.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am going to continue this and maybe try Longdogs idea of pulling my shoulder back too.
A few months ago I went to a physio due to a frozen shoulder. She told me that pulling my shoulders back would help it heal quicker. It did but I have also found it helps the morning back pain and can also get rid of a headache or neck pain pretty quick too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top