Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Harsh Prison Sentences

Years ago whilst working at HMP Manchester I came across one of the harshest prison terms I'd ever heard of.

A black guy had been given 6 weeks for riding his pushbike without lights.

I urged him to appeal and stated I thought the judge was racist which had influenced the sentence.

He refused to take my advice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Re: Harsh Prison Sentences

Don't blame him tbh it could have been doubled on appeal judiciary tends to stick together IME.

My nans sister was sent to Canada for stealing two left shoes, she was 13 at the time with mind of a 5 year old, that always seemed harsh to us. Ended ok though as Canada treated her pretty well she went into an institution where they really looked after her and last we heard she was in her late 30s still at the institution but teaching. She was very happy.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't blame him tbh it could have been doubled on appeal judiciary tends to stick together IME.

My nans sister was sent to Canada for stealing two left shoes, she was 13 at the time with mind of a 5 year old, that always seemed harsh to us. Ended ok though as Canada treated her pretty well she went into an institution where they really looked after her and last we heard she was in her late 30s still at the institution but teaching. She was very happy.
That was his worry.....the Judge said he'd have got 6 months had he been riding it at night.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:47 AM

It's sad I really think we need a shake up all through the system, the racists need to be weeded out, along with the ones overly sympathetic to mothers, that never seems fair to me, you can have a man and woman in the dock on same charges and one will get five years the other five months because her family needs her. Not right IMO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tpin ->
that was his worry.....the judge said he'd have got 6 months had he been riding it at night.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Years ago whilst working at HMP Manchester I came across one of the harshest prison terms I'd ever heard of.

A black guy had been given 6 weeks for riding his pushbike without lights.

I urged him to appeal and stated I thought the judge was racist which had influenced the sentence.

He refused to take my advice.
Yes it does seem over the top but we don't know what else crime wise was behind it.

Generally from what I have got from the media is my impression is prison is far too soft.

Sentences should be for a lot longer and none of the perks of being a prisoner.
It is a punishment not a playground for naughty people, not a holiday home for thieves and rapists.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-02-2017, 10:45 AM

It depends on the crime there has been data collected that says a short sentance for many crimes works best, the early months in prison are harder because of fear and sense of loss of freedom, once six months have passed prisoners are happier and settled. So give them a short sharp shock might make them stop short of committing more crimes.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:51 AM

i can see no difference in stealing a lolly pop from a sweet shop to stealing a £100,000 motor car. Stealing is stealing and should be punished the same
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Six weeks for a cycle offence outrageous. How times have changed , now it's almost reached the point where you have to commit a murder before getting a reaction from the law.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-02-2017, 10:55 AM

if your house is being robbed don't just call the police they may turn up several days later, My younger son was beaten up while camping in a farmers field with permission, and his friend had a broken cheek bone by thugs from a nearby pub.

The police didn't even bother until they found out his friend was in hospital because of it and that was 2 days later.

The only way to get a quick police response it seems is to say someone has a gun and threatened to kill you, then you get more police than you have ever seen before turn up

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top