Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:48 AM

on the dole.

Who saw last nights program which showed an unemployed man getting £1100 a month in benefits? he claimed he could not even earn that if he had a job, so why should he look for one.

How many hard working people would even like to earn that amount on a regular basis
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Re: on the dole.

If that included housing benefit I can see why it's so much. A married couple get less than £79 per week, plus housing benefit, and council tax benefit, any more than that will be for the children.

When we came off Jsa it was to take a lesser paying job but we knew it meant the money was ours and once in work we could increase our hours. It was a gamble and we've never really earned more for a basic 40 hour week than we got in benefit because of the council tax and housing benefits. But we have earned more by doing much longer hours.

It's scary coming off you don't know for sure you will make more.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 11:05 AM

WhenI took early vol. retirement for about 4 weeks I was out of work waiting for finalisation of the kennel purchase. So took a trip to the local job centre just to have my stamp paid, not looking for work.

How thick came some people be ??? they insised I should be actively looking for work (prats) with proof I was seeking enployment.

No matter how hard I tried to explain I was going to be self employed and just wanted my stamp paid had work to go to it was well outside their comprehension.
I didn't tick the right boxes they work by and anything a bit different was beyond them
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 11:57 AM

It's no wonder job centres have been found wanting! Thankfully, I've only had cause to enter one of their premises many years ago when accompanying my SIL, who had unfortunately lost her job when the firm she worked for, closed down.
She already had a new job lined up but was advised to sign on for the six weeks before she commenced.

As neither of us had ever been in a job centre before, we walked in and went up to a vacant counter that held no privacy whatsoever, The people either side could hear every bit of conversation, and we, them. The person that came to see us, a young man, was, I can only describe as quite obnoxious! From the start of the interview, not a smile nor a sign of helpfulness. One could tell straight away that he was viewing my SIL with disdain for simply being "one of those on the other side of his desk". A very unpleasant experience, thankfully never to be experienced again. I do recall thinking to myself as he sat there questioning my SIL, "Pompous little Prig, you are able to act like little Lord Fontelroy with those less fortunate because you know you are in a job that is safe whilst others all around are losing theirs. One day, you will feel their pain !"
My SIL, who has always been a proud, independent woman, was visibly upset when she had finished being put through her ordeal and wishing she hadn't set foot in the place.

Now, many years later, I think of that same unpleasant young man when I hear that job centres themselves have been found guilty of not being fit for purpose and being closed down. I don't wish unemployment on one single person, but if he is still working for them and is one that is about to lose his job, maybe that same unpleasant man will learn for the first time about humility and understanding for those in a less fortunate position than himself.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Who saw last nights program which showed an unemployed man getting £1100 a month in benefits? he claimed he could not even earn that if he had a job, so why should he look for one.

How many hard working people would even like to earn that amount on a regular basis
That sort of money is a pittance if that is all you are earning, but I agree it is sick making anyone gets that just on benefits.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 12:15 PM

You begrudge people a pittance ? Wow. When my mum was widowed I took her to job centre she had not worked since her marriage so had very little experience or any idea how to manage on her own. She had been like you t, a woman who didn't need to work outside the home at 57 with only 3 years to retirement she lost her husband and all her dignity in that one week.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You begrudge people a pittance ? Wow. When my mum was widowed I took her to job centre she had not worked since her marriage so had very little experience or any idea how to manage on her own. She had been like you t, a woman who didn't need to work outside the home at 57 with only 3 years to retirement she lost her husband and all her dignity in that one week.
I begrudge people getting that on benefits, NOT people who work for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-02-2017, 02:37 PM

You'd give them less so they'd lose their homes of starve ? You'd give disabled people less ? Pensioners less ? Not a world I want to live in.

You appear to have lived a very privileged life t I hope you never find yourself in the situation many do through no fault of their own.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You'd give them less so they'd lose their homes of starve ? You'd give disabled people less ? Pensioners less ? Not a world I want to live in.

You appear to have lived a very privileged life t I hope you never find yourself in the situation many do through no fault of their own.
For heaven's sake what is your problem you stupid woman? Yes that is rude but you are always making personal comments where I am concerned. You know absolutely nothing about my life. I had to work hard as kid helping with my father's horticultural business, for which I didn't get any money. When we married when I was nineteen I had to make do with £4 per week housekeeping, that wasn't riches even in those days. I have brought up my own family, adopted two mentally disabled lads and fostered a third. So I have worked hard within the home for many years. Now my husband is disabled life has got even harder. No I don't want a medal, but I bet I have worked a damn sight harder than many people on benefits, some of whom are workshy scum. I am not including the disabled or pensioners in that category.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 02:59 PM

I think most of us worked fairly hard within the home when we were younger and had kids at home and a house and husband to look after.

However, at least we didn't have the pressures of having to leave home early morning, trying not to miss the bus or having to catch trains, and all the problems travelling to employment can bring. Cursing if the car is frozen over etc.

Working from home, we also didn't have bosses breathing down our necks, difficult work mates to get along with, difficult customers to deal with, timed lunch and tea breaks, having to stay late and miss your lift home.

Getting home late after picking the kids up, cold and fed up, then having to start all the home jobs from scratch because no one else had done anything and the OH would soon be home. Or worse still, no one else was coming home, you were on your own - as I was with a 6yr old.

And maybe all this for a pittance.

I don't think doing jobs at home all day is quite the same as having to work outside to be honest, at least you are your own boss at home, and can make a cup of tea when you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top