Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Re: on the dole.

I have signed on only twice, first time was to maintain stamp no money paid out and i was working within the week, second time received my money and after visiting the Jobcenter and being interviewed by a snotty clone i deposited said money in her lap advising where she should place it for safekeping. They have never been good places to help aid folks back into work, but im astonished to read the amount of cash some are able to get, i did not find this the norm. However nor do i begrudge folks this aid, most will have paid contributions and will be entitled to help when they are in need, as for those who have not, surely its why we contribute as taxpayers.

Of course some will abuse this, but its only a small amount, it should be clamped down on but with a common sense approach, and should benefit our own citizens first and foremost.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:00 AM

As I wanted to leave school at the age of 15 my parents said if I did I would have to get an apprenticeship. So my first idea was a trip to the youth employment office as it used to be known by.
Where they helpful? were they hell. All they could offer was going into one of the services ie army navy airforce.
They were helpful in another way though when they told me to go find an apprenticship and they would check to see if the company was ok to join.

Needless to say I did get an apprenticeship without any help from them
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My ex husband was self employed , I was working in a shop , in the same week I lost my job he fell and fractured his hip . We had very little money . I made an appointment with the dole office and wheeled him there in his wheelchair . Neither of us had ever made a claim before . Because he was self employed he was not entitled to a penny . I was given £75 a week for 3 months that was for the two of us . We lived on it till he recovered enough to return to work . We informed the dole people that he was back at work (I was retraining at college ) and our money stopped . A couple of weeks later I got a phone call to say we owed them £75 as we had been overpaid by a week . I had to send a cheque to them for that amount of money or we were told we would be prosecuted .

That's normal amount for a couple Susan, and why I don't believe half the stories about whacking great payouts.

Any extra is usually housing benefit the recipient never sees it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My ex husband was self employed , I was working in a shop , in the same week I lost my job he fell and fractured his hip . We had very little money . I made an appointment with the dole office and wheeled him there in his wheelchair . Neither of us had ever made a claim before . Because he was self employed he was not entitled to a penny . I was given £75 a week for 3 months that was for the two of us . We lived on it till he recovered enough to return to work . We informed the dole people that he was back at work (I was retraining at college ) and our money stopped . A couple of weeks later I got a phone call to say we owed them £75 as we had been overpaid by a week . I had to send a cheque to them for that amount of money or we were told we would be prosecuted .
Disgusting, isn't it.

Penalise those who can't work; reward those who can, but don't feel like getting out of bed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Disgusting, isn't it.

Penalise those who can't work; reward those who can, but don't feel like getting out of bed.
But that's the normal amount a couple gets ! No one was penalised or missed out on any benefit. It's a pittance yes but that's an argument to increase benefits.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 09:28 PM

I didnt see the programme mentioned but Id like to know what benefits this man was getting . Im fed up with television making it seem like you get huge benefits while not working,it simply isnt true,this man must have been eligible for more than one benefit i.e child benefit [ given to all parents working or not ] housing benefit [ again given to all on low income , working or not ]. I know people who have applied for benefits for various reasons and its d****d hard, Two hard working young men I knew tried hard to get work, signing on unemployed,sent after several jobs,sent on courses, but still unable to be given a regular job. In the end one came off jobs seeker allowance, claiming nothing , doing any odd job he can, the other worked as a volunteer at an animal rescue home for months [ again claiming no benefit] before finally being taken on as employed by the centre My niece was ill for a while couldnt work so was able to claim free prescription charges, but she failed to remember when it ran out ,and forgot to renew it, no one wrote to remind her,so she continued to claim, then got £150 fine for claiming when she wast covered.So Please dont believe everything you see /hear about benefit claimers
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 10:25 PM

What? No new widescreen tv..a new house and a car plus drinking money? Or is that just for immigrants with a large brood?

Just joking in case you were going to go ballistic
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Don't give a Tom Tit about whatever someone is getting, for doing nowt, idle bastwerd.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I didnt see the programme mentioned but Id like to know what benefits this man was getting . Im fed up with television making it seem like you get huge benefits while not working,it simply isnt true,this man must have been eligible for more than one benefit i.e child benefit [ given to all parents working or not ] housing benefit [ again given to all on low income , working or not ]. I know people who have applied for benefits for various reasons and its d****d hard, Two hard working young men I knew tried hard to get work, signing on unemployed,sent after several jobs,sent on courses, but still unable to be given a regular job. In the end one came off jobs seeker allowance, claiming nothing , doing any odd job he can, the other worked as a volunteer at an animal rescue home for months [ again claiming no benefit] before finally being taken on as employed by the centre My niece was ill for a while couldnt work so was able to claim free prescription charges, but she failed to remember when it ran out ,and forgot to renew it, no one wrote to remind her,so she continued to claim, then got £150 fine for claiming when she wast covered.So Please dont believe everything you see /hear about benefit claimers
Voice of reason !
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 05:38 PM

If we watch those TV programmes, about Benefit Claimants, it's fairly easy to come to the conclusion that they're all money grabbing wasters who have 15 kids (in order to get the maximum pay-out & bigger houses) .

In reality, I have taken it all on board, as fact, and duly apologise, sincerely, now that I have read the posts on this topic.

Several posters are fighting their way through what is a severe shock to their self respect, and to their way of life, through no fault of their own.

Again. I apologise.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top