Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Re: 100 year-old man in Court

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Sadly in recent times there has been far too much trial by media and not enough trial by the judiciary.

Given that guilty or not the kind of mud thrown in these cases sticks it is time to either put a statue of limitation on these crimes to stop the digging up of old claims and judging old actions by todays standards. Or there should be a total news blackout of them until the accused is found guilty. Also in cases where women have been found to be lying ( ie golddoggers) action should be taken against them. The damage these women cause isnt just to the men they accuse but to every genuine victim who will be dismissed as a gold digger because of their malicious actions.
I agree with you Cass, although I don't think a trial that comes so late after the event can ever be fair. If a group of people all had to write down their memories of a traumatic event, back in the 70's, I will guarantee that none of them will tell exactly the same story. At 100, this man will not remember anything that may help his defence, or the woman could have imagined things, that didn't happen, because she was traumatized ...... which makes a trial a case of whose story you believe, rather than what is true!
And there will be no forensic evidence !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree with you Cass, although I don't think a trial that comes so late after the event can ever be fair. If a group of people all had to write down their memories of a traumatic event, back in the 70's, I will guarantee that none of them will tell exactly the same story. At 100, this man will not remember anything that may help his defence, or the woman could have imagined things, that didn't happen, because she was traumatized ...... which makes a trial a case of whose story you believe, rather than what is true!
Some people who are 100 are very with it. I know a lady who will be 100 in August she certainly has all her marbles.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 10:05 AM

I'm inclined to agree with this Twink. The majority wouldn't remember every minute detail at that age, some can barely remember their own name.
Also, whatever is alleged to have happened would have been seen through the eyes of a very young child, I wonder how a small child would interpret events?
As you say, there will also be no evidence /proof now either.

I really don't know the answer to all this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Big thing worries me is if you ever see anyone being regressed where they bring old forgotton memories to the surface, it's quite scary what memories get mixed with dreams ! One of my sisters was hypnotised to find forgotten memories it brought up all sorts that didn't actually happen but once out she firmly believes it did.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm inclined to agree with this Twink. The majority wouldn't remember every minute detail at that age, some can barely remember their own name.
Also, whatever is alleged to have happened would have been seen through the eyes of a very young child, I wonder how a small child would interpret events?

I visit a rest home with my dog , most residents seem to have no trouble remembering the past it's the more recent times they often struggle with .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Mups, when I was about 15, one of these perverts kept stopping in his car and offering me a lift, I always said "No thank you". The last time it happened, he drove off but parked his car close to where he thought I was walking, about 30 yards from my home and close to the park entrance. He approached me, whilst exposing himself, and tried to back me into the park entrance. I pushed him, told him to ".... off" and ran like hell to escape. I reported it to a policeman, I used to babysit for, and he was caught, as he had been doing the same to many young girls.
That was 50 years ago, but if I had to give details in court today the only things I could tell you was where it happened and what colour car he had....... on previous occasions where he offered a lift, in a friendly fashion, he had told me his name, I could have described how he looked, but today I couldn't give you any of that info or even the date he tried to get me into the park!
Our minds often block out traumas, so I suspect that many of the children these things happen to will be unable to remember clearly, so ,what chance is there of a fair trial when it is reported so long after the event? There is always a chance that the child is lying and the man is falsely accused!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 12:25 PM

I think it unlikely the victim is lying.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

27-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think it unlikely the victim is lying.
Why? Many have !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

27-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Why? Many have !
Really, I doubt that! Too many perverts have got away with their crimes. It is such a shame they didn't get that creep Saville into court before he kicked the bucket!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

27-02-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Really, I doubt that! Too many perverts have got away with their crimes. It is such a shame they didn't get that creep Saville into court before he kicked the bucket!
Doubt what you like, but it is true! Some do it in the hope of getting money or just out of spite. That is why it is important to report a crime a.s.a.p. so the evidence presented can be checked and the Guilty or Innocent verdict is more likely to be right.
There are a lot of under 16's who lie about their age and are happy to sleep with older men....... then report abuse because they didn't get what they wanted from the relationship. If all children had ID cards, showing dates of birth, perhaps some men would not be fooled by how they look!
I am not talking about this case, but I do think that many, who decide to report abuse so late, have other reasons than being traumatized, for taking so long!

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top