Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Postage Stamps

Royal Mail have confirmed that next month the cost of postage stamps is to increase again.

An ordinary 1st class stamp will cost 65p, and second class will be 56p.

They say the increases were necessary to maintain its legal requirement to deliver to every UK address at least once a day, every day, from Monday to Saturday.

Soon adds up if you're sending many letters or cards though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 10:46 PM

Re: Postage Stamps

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Royal Mail have confirmed that next month the cost of postage stamps is to increase again.

They say the increases were necessary to maintain its legal requirement to deliver to every UK address at least once a day, every day, from Monday to Saturday.

Soon adds up if you're sending many letters or cards.
More like they were necessary to maintain the profits of shareholders.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Unlike parcels, I believe that no other company would be interested in delivering letters. It is just not profitable enough.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Unlike parcels, I believe that no other company would be interested in delivering letters. It is just not profitable enough.

If that is the case JBR, they will soon be able to charge what they want because they have no competition, and we will have no choice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 11:34 PM

If that is the case JBR, they will soon be able to charge what they want because they have no competition, and we will have no choice.
I think they are under some sort of ruling by the government.

If they weren't, I think they'd have given up the responsibility.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think they are under some sort of ruling by the government.

If they weren't, I think they'd have given up the responsibility.

I wonder what would happen if they did give up?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 01:06 AM

I wonder what would happen if they did give up?
back to carrier pigeons?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 01:17 AM

The government has long since constrained the Royal Mail making it difficult for them to increase the price of stamps. This has been ridiculous because all the competing postal services, and there are many, being private companies have been free to up their prices year by year.

So the Royal Mail has never been allowed to operate on a level playing field. The situation has in fact been rather ridiculous.

The competition companies, simply cherry picked all the most profitable aspects of mail delivery. Like delivery in major cities and so on. Every year the cost of everything goes up, materials, transport, fuel, salaries etc so every normal company puts its prices up to reflect the on-going rise in the cost of living.

The government on the other hand, and regulator, have prevented Royal Mail from equally putting up its prices year on year which is just ridiculous.

Royal Mail is a hugely political entity and is sadly infested with Freemasonry. Since they haven't been able to put up stamp prices as needed they have had to cut costs, reduce service and cut jobs for many years now.

The concept of sending something by post from one end of the country to the other for mere pennies is frankly ridiculous. Who in their right mind would transport something for 50p ?!!! It just doesn't add up.

There remains in the hearts and minds of British people this notion that stamps have always been a few pennies. They don't think about what it would cost to transport something across the country. Yet at the same time the same people happily order stuff from Amazon and happily pay post and packaging costs of typically £2-£3. It's quite bizarre really.

Stamps should be way way more expensive than they are and we should be supporting our last bastion of British public service, the Royal Mail lest it disappear altogether.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Soon adds up if you're sending many letters or cards though.
I do as many communications as I can by e-mail these days.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
back to carrier pigeons?
Or the Pony Express.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top