Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Re: Postage Stamps

I don't even send emails now, just messenger texts.
If people are close enough I just communicate with expressive dance or hand signals.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 11:55 AM

This is why, when asked what l want for my birthday or Christmas, l ask for postage stamps!
I'd rather have something useful than something that is surplus to requirement!
Plus, l don't have to think to get stamps for Christmas cards!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 12:00 PM

I know we all have a moan when the price of stamps goes up but thinking about it, it's not bad really. When you think you can send a letter from Cornwall to Scotland and it costs 65p The real problem is at Christmas when we have to send so many.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The government has long since constrained the Royal Mail making it difficult for them to increase the price of stamps. This has been ridiculous because all the competing postal services, and there are many, being private companies have been free to up their prices year by year.

So the Royal Mail has never been allowed to operate on a level playing field. The situation has in fact been rather ridiculous.

The competition companies, simply cherry picked all the most profitable aspects of mail delivery. Like delivery in major cities and so on. Every year the cost of everything goes up, materials, transport, fuel, salaries etc so every normal company puts its prices up to reflect the on-going rise in the cost of living.

The government on the other hand, and regulator, have prevented Royal Mail from equally putting up its prices year on year which is just ridiculous.

Royal Mail is a hugely political entity and is sadly infested with Freemasonry. Since they haven't been able to put up stamp prices as needed they have had to cut costs, reduce service and cut jobs for many years now.

The concept of sending something by post from one end of the country to the other for mere pennies is frankly ridiculous. Who in their right mind would transport something for 50p ?!!! It just doesn't add up.

There remains in the hearts and minds of British people this notion that stamps have always been a few pennies. They don't think about what it would cost to transport something across the country. Yet at the same time the same people happily order stuff from Amazon and happily pay post and packaging costs of typically £2-£3. It's quite bizarre really.

Stamps should be way way more expensive than they are and we should be supporting our last bastion of British public service, the Royal Mail lest it disappear altogether.
I completely agree.

The other problem for them is that more and more people are using e-mails instead of writing letters.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 12:22 PM

I much prefer to get an e-mail than a letter, or an e-card rather than a birthday/Christmas card.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 04:49 PM

I know we are supposed to moan about it but 65p for a letter to Edinburgh when it actually costs the Royal Mail £6.95 to take it there seems a big of a bargain. Add to that they do go out if their way to deliver even when addresses are really badly written, a letter arrived here last week with my husband's name the only thing legible but it got here and the postman handed it over with a smile too. 65p was all that cost.

I also know in the summer we will see him cutting grass and hedges of the old folks down the road, he's a real gem and looks after his round, checking on the oldies and the vulnerable.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 05:30 PM

I love to get a real letter in fact haven't got one for ages just bank statements some bills and junk mail .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:01 PM

65p to collect, send through numerous sorting offices and transported by truck or plane then a van directly to the person on the envelope still seems bloody cheap for a good service.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:07 PM

It's a fantastic reliable service, we shouldn't complain!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It's a fantastic reliable service, we shouldn't complain!
Don't be silly....what else would you expect from British old farts

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top