Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Re: Clear out gunge

Hi Rena, my files are dated back to the beginning of 2010, when this laptop was reformatted, a total of over 15000 files!

Yes, let's hope AB or someone equally clever can advise us...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 06:19 PM

I usually do mine every six months. I scandisk to ensure no file errors, clear all temp caches, prefetch data, cookies, browsing history and files, clean off any assorted rubbish which usually hangs around my system - usually stuff I haven't got round to sorting out, clean up registry, delete old Restore data and defrag every drive (which takes HOURS) and then finally a deep scan virus check. My machine is suddenly as good as new.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I didn't know you had to AB. I permanently delete unwanted e-mails from my "bin" and I thought the just "physically" clearing out unwanted stuff and the Norton software was enough to keep my laptop healthy. Now and then my laptop also asks me if I want to optimise its running. Isn't this enough "housekeeping".
The program that is asking if you want to optimise is probably clearing out all your temp files, or possibly the Norton, depending what you have and how it's set up.

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I regularly run my Superantispyware, which I did tonight, and it brought up 56 infections, but they were only tracking cookies. I also ran my AVG as well and all was clear.

I regularly delete my browser history as well.

Is there owt else I need to do?

Please reply in words of simple English, preferably words of one syllable.
Yes. You clear viruses and history which is good, but just using your computer puts a load of useless stuff on your hard drive which builds up and slows things down. Not just from the internet, but using programs like word clog up the works. cc cleaner is the easiest one to use and clears most of the unwanted detritus.

Originally Posted by plantman ->
What then Bob, can these files all be deleted?
Best not just delete them as this leaves pointers in your registry pointing to empty spaces. Best way is to use cc cleaner which can clean out the registry too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I usually do mine every six months. I scandisk to ensure no file errors, clear all temp caches, prefetch data, cookies, browsing history and files, clean off any assorted rubbish which usually hangs around my system - usually stuff I haven't got round to sorting out, clean up registry, delete old Restore data and defrag every drive (which takes HOURS) and then finally a deep scan virus check. My machine is suddenly as good as new.
Errrr Eh ??????
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Errrr Eh ??????
Just computer talk, don't worry your pretty head about it, just run cc cleaner and you'll be fine
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

20-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Hi Rena, my files are dated back to the beginning of 2010, when this laptop was reformatted, a total of over 15000 files!
Yes, let's hope AB or someone equally clever can advise us...
Barry,
I don't see anything at all wrong in using the method that Bob described and why employ yet another third party app to do what you can do for yourself.

Using the Windows Disk Cleanup facility alone does not touch the temp folder in the user directory.
The default setting for CCleaner will only clean the temporary files in C > Windows > Temp.

It does not touch C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp,(The file you get to by Bobs method) at all unless you specifically add it as a custom file/folder to clean.

It is normal after clearing the folder out to find one or two small files still in use that are left behind such as a FXSAPIDebugLogFile which is part of the Windows Fax Print services and can be ignored. If it is deleted by a different method it will always return.

The deleted files will of course need to be emptied from the Recycle Bin.

I really do not remember anyone running into trouble by deleting the temp files in this folder. I do it regularly as a matter of housekeeping but as always, set a new restore date prior to carrying out anything you are not sure of.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2012, 07:15 AM

It is safe to delete temporay file because that is what they are, temporary files.

By doing it through %Temp% it gets rid of everything but wait a minute, dont just go and delete everything you find straight away, temp. file that are more than 1-2 days old may have some hidden files included, unless you know what the files are it is best to check them.

Ok for those who are not fully computer literate ( not saying your illiterate lol) it may be best doing it another way.
Not through the register as I do but through a simpler method. I would take me all day to type the way tp do it but you tube have an excellent tutorial on removing temp. file.
Watch it several times befor doing anything so that you have learnt the way to do it properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qnb-ml3KTo
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 01:10 AM

For anyone, expert or novice, the easiest way to clear out temporary files is to install this tiny program on your machine. It automatically clears all the temporary files every time you turn on or reboot the machine.

Wouldn't be without it... and it is the best price (I am a great fan of Freeware).

http://www.silmarilsoftware.com/cleanit/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top