Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 12:24 AM

Re: Today is the day.

I'm going to have a word with St. Peter about you.
You'll never go to heaven you know.

Heavens, I just had a thought - what if you come back as a rabbit or grouse?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 02:00 PM

My ex was a member of a Gun Club. They reared their own pheasants, as they grew they were put in a pen in the forest and fed daily. They were so tame from being reared from chicks that when released they would practically stand on the barrel of a gun.

I was and still am a keen birdwatcher and hated him bringing home game which he had shot. I refused to handle or serve his kills and they would end up being given to neighbours. In the end he gave up shooting and joined me as a birdwatcher.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do you eat what you kill Rehab?
We have chaps around here that shoot rabbits and pheasants, they take them home and eat them. I get given the pretty feathers from the pheasants for my craft work, I wouldn't use them if they were just killing them for fun.
Of course they are killing them for fun Tessa.
Shooting is an expensive sport not everyone can afford to indulge in this hobby .
Pheasants and some partridges are not native to this country .
Some are bred here by gamekeepers others come from factory farms in Poland or elsewhere in Europe - at least 50% according to Defra. These young birds can spend 20 hours or more crammed inside a crate stacked in the back of a lorry to their destination in the UK.
These hand reared birds are semi tame and when released have to be beaten ( frightened ) to fly as their natural instinct is to hide in the undergrowth .
There is another cost to wildlife gamekeepers put out snares and traps for foxes who will try and kill the birds ( other wildlife will also get caught and die in these snares .
Raptors are also killed by poison i understand in order that they don't prey on the game birds .
Basically it's canned hunting .
Possibly slightly better than the life of a factory chicken though as there is a very slight chance of survival for the birds .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:58 AM

The people I'm talking about definately eat what they kill Muddy. They hang them outside for a while then pluck and eat them, likewise rabbits. They're proper old country folk not townies having fun.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Of course they are killing them for fun Tessa.
Shooting is an expensive sport not everyone can afford to indulge in this hobby .
Pheasants and some partridges are not native to this country .
Some are bred here by gamekeepers others come from factory farms in Poland or elsewhere in Europe - at least 50% according to Defra. These young birds can spend 20 hours or more crammed inside a crate stacked in the back of a lorry to their destination in the UK.
These hand reared birds are semi tame and when released have to be beaten ( frightened ) to fly as their natural instinct is to hide in the undergrowth .
There is another cost to wildlife gamekeepers put out snares and traps for foxes who will try and kill the birds ( other wildlife will also get caught and die in these snares .
Raptors are also killed by poison i understand in order that they don't prey on the game birds .
Basically it's canned hunting .
Possibly slightly better than the life of a factory chicken though as there is a very slight chance of survival for the birds .
I have been discussing grouse, a native species who without management from the hunting fraternity would no longer exist . I assume from the vitriol in your post that you are of the 'Let's Ban Everything' brigade. Ban Grouse hunting, loose the land, loose the grouse, loose the predators which also live off the grouse....lose the jobs...it's a domino effect.
I suspect you have not read the independent report above and your post is more about what you perceive to be a 'class thing'
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:54 AM

I wonder how the red grouse managed to survive before gunpowder was invented? Tell that story to the Marines, they will believe anything!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The people I'm talking about definately eat what they kill Muddy. They hang them outside for a while then pluck and eat them, likewise rabbits. They're proper old country folk not townies having fun.
Most people who shoot ARE country folk and they are having fun else they wouldn't go to such extremes to shoot birds .
Most game is hung for a while sometimes a long while
The idea that 'Townies 'are bad country folk good always surprises me .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 02:20 PM

Well unless you know my friends and neighbours better than I do, I can assure you they only kill what they eat,the only people I know who hunt for pleasure are fox hunters who came into the village and don't associate with us and I don' t speak to them unless their dog is loose and bothering mine.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-08-2017, 04:48 PM

They may eat what they kill most people who shoot do .

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top