Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Re: Where's all the Jobs then?

Steve, have a look at this link as there are some driver jobs listed in Milton Keynes that may be of interest to you ....

http://www.recruitt.co.uk/all-jobs.html
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Steve, no doubt I've completely misunderstood your posts, but I fail to see the connection between your problems and the government. Is it somehow the government's fault that you are deaf and in your sixties, or are you saying that because of your circumstances the government should provide you with a job even if one doesn't exist?

Isn't it just time you stopped blaming everyone else for your ills and accept that we can't all have everything we want, because sometimes life just sucks and it's really nobody's fault, and ultimately our personal situation just comes down to nothing more that the fickle hand of fate.....
This government did close all the Remploy factories that employed ppl with different disabilities including the deaf.....so Steve is right to blame them.

Steve is it not possible to stick it out at the place you really like just ignore the bickering and keep out of the way of those you don't like. It would stop all this anxiety trying to find another job for the few years of your working life.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
This government did close all the Remploy factories that employed ppl with different disabilities including the deaf.....so Steve is right to blame them.
Only if he was employed in one and lost his job.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 10:17 PM

He could have gone and worked in one with his disability as did many deaf did.....now he's no chance has he?
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
He could have gone and worked in one with his disability as did many deaf did.....now he's no chance has he?
Was there one in MK that was shut down???????
sue_arnold
UK

30-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Do remember my daughter who was useless at school stating that "who cares I can go on the YTS and get £20 a week"

She was told that if a job came up cleaning toilets for £12 a week she WOULD take it.

See is now 45 worked all her life only draw back she still votes for the lefties.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Well I'm still looking around for another job.

I've applied for two but got no responses at all.

One of them claimed to welcome applications from Disabled people but as I have already found in the past, that's often meaningless and you usually fail their "acceptance criteria" if you mention a disability in your initial application and unfortunately I was honest with their online application form.

The other one claimed that they had no vacancy, even after I emailed them a copy of their advert from the agent's website!

Waitrose pulled that stunt on me in 2011 so I should have known!

Anyway, I've applied to a council for a driving job too now.

I name-dropped a Council member's name in my initial email - I do know him but only in passing.

Surprisingly I got a nice, friendly email back inviting me to apply for the job from their HR Head.

No mention of disability so far so we'll see if I get short-listed.

To those that don't know, government has failed disabled people because they brought in Discrimination Laws but there are no "teeth" to these Laws so employers often filter-out disabled applicants at the early stages.

I know because I was told precisely that by a major local employer when I made my own discrete enquiries via a former HR employee at the firm!

The problem is that you simply cannot prove discrimination on these grounds and, as I found out, the DWP does not care at all.

In 2011 I reported an employer who simply stated to me "Sorry, we don't employ deafies" yet the DWP refused to believe me and claimed I'd not applied myself to the application!

I've also had a long talk with my manager where I work and found that the favouritism comes from higher up, or so he tells me now.

No point it going down the whistleblower route either though so I'll just keep doing my job but looking for something better but as I think I said from the outset, there simply doesn't appear to be the jobs out there locally, despite all the rhetoric from government and their media stooges! stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 06:39 PM

However unfair it may seem Steve, an employer would much rather employ a non disabled person than a disabled one given the choice, for the obvious reasons of an employer's obligations to it's employees, and of course sometimes for genuine reasons of safety. The same goes now for women of child bearing age, since the introduction of so many maternity rights for women to the detriment of the employer, why would they employ another potential liability if an alternative was available? Running a business is tough enough without giving yourself avoidable liabilities.

I used to run a small plant hire and construction business and I couldn't imagine how I could employ anyone who was less than 100% fit. Physical construction work adjacent to moving machinery is testing even for the able bodied with full sensory perception, but to anyone with a sensory diability such as yours would be downright dangerous, and even in the office any employee would require a hearing capability to deal with clients and enquiries.

I wish you luck with your continued quest but as I have said before your age and disability are bound to be huge factors to consider for a potential employer, but rant and rail all you like it is not their fault that you have them, just bad luck.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
However unfair it may seem Steve, an employer would much rather employ a non disabled person than a disabled one given the choice, for the obvious reasons of an employer's obligations to it's employees, and of course sometimes for genuine reasons of safety. The same goes now for women of child bearing age, since the introduction of so many maternity rights for women to the detriment of the employer, why would they employ another potential liability if an alternative was available? Running a business is tough enough without giving yourself avoidable liabilities.

I used to run a small plant hire and construction business and I couldn't imagine how I could employ anyone who was less than 100% fit. Physical construction work adjacent to moving machinery is testing even for the able bodied with full sensory perception, but to anyone with a sensory disability such as yours would be downright dangerous, and even in the office any employee would require a hearing capability to deal with clients and enquiries.
I wish you luck with your continued quest but as I have said before your age and disability are bound to be huge factors to consider for a potential employer, but rant and rail all you like it is not their fault that you have them, just bad luck.
For once you have responded to my a post of mine in a more understanding way PM and I appreciate that.

The reasons, employers use arguing against employing disabled people are, in many cases, nothing whatsoever to do with any concerns over H&S but far more to do with ignorance and / or prejudice in my experience PM.

I am realistic these days and I know that my age and my deafness will prevent me from doing jobs where communication skills are essential but I have a whole range of skills and experience where I could easily do jobs that do not require these communication skills but I'm effectively barred by the inflexible, blinkered attitude that still prevails towards all disabled people.

For example, in the three years I've been in my present job I've had just 3 consecutive days off sick.

The average in my department is now 5 weeks off sick, and I work for a Charity!

I also have the best attendance and punctuality record in my department.

Disabled people tend to be more reliable and conscientious too, simply because of the difficulty we face just trying to get work and keeping a job.

With employers, the ones I feel are the lowest of the low are those claiming to be users of the “Double-tick” Positive About Disabled People Symbol which is government approved apparently yet very few of these employers have any employees with a disability.

I know, I've checked some of them out locally and people tell me it's the same almost everywhere.

As I said, the Disability Discrimination legislation has no teeth and there are no checks done by anyone regarding the employment of disabled people, which is scandalous in my opinion.

Remploy did great work and had many highly-skilled staff but the organisation has had funding cut so many times that many Remploy sites have had to close, throwing many vulnerable people onto a depressed jobs market where each job attracts 100+ applicants, mostly able-bodied.

To my mind the only fair way to help disabled people to help themselves is the Government's as our MPs are, supposedly, meant to represent and speak out for all their constituents are they not?

What we get is the opposite where every service that disabled people use faces cuts and closures yet we can miraculously find and spend Billions on major sporting events that provide no real lasting legacy to the local community except to big businesses.

A famous man once gave a very famous address and in the final paragraph he said "government of the people, by the people, for the people"

In the UK we have Governments that serve Business first, to the detriment of every, single voter in the Union. stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Do remember my daughter who was useless at school stating that "who cares I can go on the YTS and get £20 a week"

She was told that if a job came up cleaning toilets for £12 a week she WOULD take it.

See is now 45 worked all her life only draw back she still votes for the lefties.
Been there. I have worked(posted to)the DHSS,worked in a benefit office,worked in a Job Centre. Been involved with youth training. Married a lady who was very good at her work at high level recruitment.

What have I remembered?-the amount of cvs that went straight in the confidentilal waste.

The moral-if you are over say,45 and unemployed forget it.

Youths -ANY and I mean ANY job will give you a start up on the ladder. Moving from any job is far far easier(note easier not easy) than from unemployment

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top