Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Cleaning Upholstery

I have a pale beige sofa which at four years old is beginning to look a bit tired. Any obvious spillages have been cleaned successfully but I think the whole thing sofa needs cleaning/refreshing. Can anyone recommend an upholstery cleaner that is easy to use and won't ruin it or should I pay a cleaning company to do it?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 08:14 PM

Re: Cleaning Upholstery

1-Elbow grease-ie get some cleaner and work

2-Cleaning companies do a great job

3-Compare the cost of a cleaning company to the cost of getting new covers
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
1-Elbow grease-ie get some cleaner and work

2-Cleaning companies do a great job

3-Compare the cost of a cleaning company to the cost of getting new covers
1 - Very clever! A four year old £1000 sofa gets ruined!
2 - Right - I agree - any recommendations?
3 - Nope - sofa doesn't take to covers!

I'll be comparing the cost of a professional company to clean my very expensive sofa, against the cost of a vax cleaner or similar and am currently asking for recommendations.

Thanks for your input.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Lindyloo I took my cushion covers to a local supermarket (Morrisons) that also has a drycleaners and they did a wonderful job really quite cheaply.

If it is an expensive sofa I wouldn't take chances on using a vax.

A few years ago I got a different one professionally cleaned and it took all the "guts" out of it, never the same again.

Just re-read your post, it doesn't have detatchable covers? Then I think professional cleaner is probably your only option.

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
1 - Very clever! A four year old £1000 sofa gets ruined!
2 - Right - I agree - any recommendations?
3 - Nope - sofa doesn't take to covers!

I'll be comparing the cost of a professional company to clean my very expensive sofa, against the cost of a vax cleaner or similar and am currently asking for recommendations.

Thanks for your input.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 01:47 PM

You could try to clean it yourself but you'd need to do a patch test somewhere hidden from view - just in case!! I think I'd get a professional in, there'll be some in your area if you dig around, I expect.
Above all you don't want to ruin it and a professional should know how to treat each type of material....I would hope!!
I have loose covers on mine but I'm still a bit wary when I remove them for washing and my fingers are crossed 'til they go back on!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 02:29 PM

I have a pale beige sofa which at four years old is beginning to look a bit tired. Any obvious spillages have been cleaned successfully but I think the whole thing sofa needs cleaning/refreshing. Can anyone recommend an upholstery cleaner that is easy to use and won't ruin it or should I pay a cleaning company to do it?
Lindy I think it depends what kind of fabric is covering the sofa.

If it was expensive and you employ a company to come in and steam clean it for you they will be insured if there are mishaps
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've just hunted around for the receipt which (of course) doesn't say what its made of, but there's an advert on ebay for the same sofa bed, which says it's made of microfibre.

The three cushions along the back are removable and so are the covers, but the rest of the fabric is fixed.

A friend has offered me the use of her Vax so I'm interested in your comment Baxter 8. Her machine is a V-124A - fairly expensive, but cheaper than a new sofa!

I asked the manager of the department in John Lewis how I should clean it and was told to use Service Master but they don't operate here.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Hi Lindyloo

Did you mean the vax steam cleaner? Red hot steam on fibres can't be a good thing. It could be that your friend's vax is perfectly suitable.

About one year ago I bought two rather expensive rugs and the salesman said "whatever you do don't use a vax on them" so that kind of put me off. I always got the idea they were only suitable for tough carpets.

Thanks for all the replies. I've just hunted around for the receipt which (of course) doesn't say what its made of, but there's an advert on ebay for the same sofa bed, which says it's made of microfibre.

The three cushions along the back are removable and so are the covers, but the rest of the fabric is fixed.

A friend has offered me the use of her Vax so I'm interested in your comment Baxter 8. Her machine is a V-124A - fairly expensive, but cheaper than a new sofa!

I asked the manager of the department in John Lewis how I should clean it and was told to use Service Master but they don't operate here.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks Baxter8
It's the Vax V-124A dual upright carpet and upholstery cleaner. Think I need to find out more about it. My preference is to be as independent as possible, but don't want to ruin the sofa.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Stardrops every time for me when cleaning cloth upholstery, it has many uses around the home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top