Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: Garden waste.

We've just rrimmed the hedge too. We wrapped the cuttings in a tarpaulin and stuffed it into the back of the car. It took three trips to the tip to get rid of the bulk of it. There are still three trugs of prickly cuttings to go. Our neighbour said that he would try to get us some '1 tonne bags' - the sort used for bulk sand, gravel etc... for future use.

Most other garden waste, we compost ourselves. We have two bins made with wooden slats - approx 1 cubic mtr each, and two plastic bins that we call 'Daleks' because of their shape.

The council do not collect garden waste (or glass) in this area.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 09:41 PM

I've had a garden shredder for many years. Shred it and put back on the shrub beds, and in a year, gone. Saves petrol going to queue up at the dump...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I've had a garden shredder for many years. Shred it and put back on the shrub beds, and in a year, gone. Saves petrol going to queue up at the dump...
I might look at those Mike
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Our town has a free recycling service.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Some years ago I had a shredder but it alarmed me when it snatched twigs form my hands, so in the end I got rid of it. I compost all compostable. then take branches to the tip. I store the leaves in black bin bags for a year so that they can start decaying then add them gradually to the compost bin.

I did try a bonfire but the smoke blew across a busy road so that was the end of that, pity because I love the smell of a bonfire in Autumn.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 08:11 AM

I haven't the time to shred also they do seem exceptionally noisy. My neighbour has one.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 11:20 AM

My shredder is 21 years old and I have just googled the price of one like it. Sheesh I must have been rich back then-today it would set me back £875
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 11:21 AM

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/garden-ch...etrol-shredder
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 01:24 PM

we bought a shredder for our hedge cuttings at our last house , and it was so noisy , neighbours made comments about it ,and it was blunt after one years shredding ..we took ours to the tip ..cause it takes ages for privet to break down ..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top