Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Theresa May

Theresa May has stated that police killers should never be freed from prison as 'to kill a police officer is to attack the funadmental basis of our society'.

Shouldn't that apply to anyone who kills another person irrespective of their status in society? Isn't all human life supposed to be 'precious'?

Also, isn't another fundamental basis of our society 'thou shalt not kill'?

Why the double standards?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Re: Theresa May

Have always thought the same as you, have heard these comments before over the years ... Just do not agree, murder is murder, should be the same consequence ...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Many people feel they are not valued by the government - that kind of confirms it ...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 06:15 PM

I must say that I've always struggled with the notion that a policeman is worth more than the rest of us....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Theresa May gives the reason that they protect us. I'm not diminishing what they do and we're all grateful for them but that is their job. When you see killers or ordinary people getting a shorter jail term than fraudsters do, that rankles.
JustMe
Yorkshire, UK
JustMe is female  JustMe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 06:44 PM

police do a good job there is no doubt of that in my mind but if you kill anyone be it a policeman or just Joe Bloggs off the street the same consequence should be applied
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I must say that I've always struggled with the notion that a policeman is worth more than the rest of us....
Me too.

If a policeman gets killed on duty, his family are supported financially. If Joe Bloggs gets killed, his family just has to cope. So making the murder of a policeman something "special" just rubs Joe Bloggs' family's nose in it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Seriously Barry, no one is more precious to me than my family, why should policeman be different, they are us!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Phew, I'm glad it isn't just me - was a bit worried I'd gone into Victoria Meldrew mode again
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

27-05-2013, 05:47 AM

you have missed the point BV as usual - the fundamental basis of this society is NOT you and I no matter how much you wish it to be - it IS law and order as represented by the Police. the police are certainly part of society but also have a special and more dangerous role and most of us acknowledge this - their job is overall and usually more dangerous than most of ours and their duty is to protect us as general citizens. The statement by Theresa May reflects this by saying "if you kill a police officer - you are NOT just killing one of us but one of us who has accepted a higher calling to protect the rest of us" That is what it is all about NOT 'we iz all equal 'ere'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top