Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 04:01 AM

Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

I use nail polish a lot! I buy different colours from $2 shops for use around the house and garage.

It is very handy for locking nuts on electrical goods etc and for colour coding things like keys and locks.

However I have one minor problem with the stuff; when I go to use it again I have to use a large pair of electrical pliers (or a vice) to get the lid off because it has sealed itself to the bottle. Presumably this is caused by the surplus varnish left on top of the bottle opening.

Ladies...

How do you stop your nail polish bottle lid sticking to the bottle? I presume you don't carry a large pair of pliers around in your handbag for this sort of emergency. What is the secret?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Don't get it all over the top!
If you do, use a drop of nail polish remover or acetone to clean it.
You need to be more delicate with your actions Bruce!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 07:53 AM

Hi

I use Hard as Nails when I am fishing.

Easy Peasy when using it.

Lip Balm, just wipe the excess of the bottle threads, and then put a thin smear of lip balm on, job done.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Just had a thought, if you use nail polish remover wipes rather than bottles of chemicals it might be safer in a garage/ workshop.
You could try acrylic nail polish, it peels off when dry and wipes off with water when wet, even acrylic paint for colour marking and stuff SF said about for sticking.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 04:09 PM

After using your preferred nail varnish, tighten screw top as normal then turn top back half a turn. That easement stops sticking.

(make sure you always store upright as well)

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I use nail polish a lot! I buy different colours from $2 shops for use around the house and garage.

It is very handy for locking nuts on electrical goods etc and for colour coding things like keys and locks.

However I have one minor problem with the stuff; when I go to use it again I have to use a large pair of electrical pliers (or a vice) to get the lid off because it has sealed itself to the bottle. Presumably this is caused by the surplus varnish left on top of the bottle opening.

Ladies...

How do you stop your nail polish bottle lid sticking to the bottle? I presume you don't carry a large pair of pliers around in your handbag for this sort of emergency. What is the secret?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You could try acrylic nail polish, it peels off when dry and wipes off with water when wet, even acrylic paint for colour marking and stuff SF said about for sticking.
I think acrylic would rather defeat the purpose. Generally I need something cheap and permanent (ish) for example to identify keys. Definitely don't want something that wipes off in water. It doesn't matter if it chips a bit though it seems pretty resilient.

These $2 bottles last for ages and I don't care about the colours particularly as long as they are distinctive. I think part of the problem is that they are not used often so the residue on the outer surface of the bottle has plenty of time to solidify rock hard.

BTW that is not a particularly useful example but for my camper it has a door on each side keyed differently however the keys are identical. I paint one red, one green (a nautical theme) with a matching colour on the lock itself - saves a lot of trying each key in turn.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2004.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	4023  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-09-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
After using your preferred nail varnish, tighten screw top as normal then turn top back half a turn. That easement stops sticking.

(make sure you always store upright as well)
Don't the contents dry out if the lid is not firmly attached?

I use these bottles very infrequently rather than normal daily use for nail decoration. While they are hard to open the contents seems to remain usable for years.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 10:04 AM

That's a good idea for those who use many keys Bruce
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's a good idea for those who use many keys Bruce
Hi

I use these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-PACK-Co...cAAOxywTZSTA8l
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Most people over tighten a screw cap so by turning it back half a turn you are only easing it from that over tightening. You could also dip the nail varnish bottle cap in hot water as that will also loosen.

Either of these methods have served me well over the years.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't the contents dry out if the lid is not firmly attached?

I use these bottles very infrequently rather than normal daily use for nail decoration. While they are hard to open the contents seems to remain usable for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top