Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 05:51 PM

We need more of this type of home

Affordable housing that doesn't suck!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busines...-modular-homes

I can imagine thousands of these spread over the Welsh countryside - what a dream it would be to live in one? (Hopefully they would be eco-friendly as well!)
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Re: We need more of this type of home

They have just re-invented the prefab.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 05:59 PM

I just looked at the amount of glass and passed out imagining cleaning the windows ! Prefabs I'm all for but less glass would suit me better.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Very Modern but would not suit the British Climate
And no privacy.

There are some British Companies building some thing similar to order

Also what about using Rivers to build Houses on stilts?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 06:34 PM

I'm surprised no-one has hit on the idea of using shipping containers as per the project in Kenya. I'm sure they could be fettled up to make comfortable homes if only for single people or couples. They use them already on construction sites for offices so why not for homes? A newish one costs around £3000 to buy, add to this the price of conversion and they would still be cheap enough to use as homes.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 07:16 PM

What about one man tents, a double wouldn't work because that would be, wait for it, " two in tents"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 07:30 PM

I have seen better examples of low cost luxury modular housing including one made in Germany.

Flat roofs on the cheap do not fare well in our climate. Unless the house is in a secluded position so much glass would offer little privacy . I assume the glass is triple glazed and there is an alternative heat source or it would be costly to heat.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm surprised no-one has hit on the idea of using shipping containers as per the project in Kenya. I'm sure they could be fettled up to make comfortable homes if only for single people or couples. They use them already on construction sites for offices so why not for homes? A newish one costs around £3000 to buy, add to this the price of conversion and they would still be cheap enough to use as homes.
Saw something on TV a while back where a fella converted one of these into a house for himself, which he floated on something and had it permanently secured in an inland waterways dock. Very cunning use of space and his budget was very low.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 08:25 PM

I would think its like a Green house in summer and a ice box in Winter ,I have Glass Patio doors on the back and the only good thing is a good view of the garden .They are South facing and is most uncomfortable in Summer even if you open them wide .
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 08:44 PM

I started working in the building industry around forty five years ago and have seen the re-invention of modular / kit / pre-fab homes over and over again. The northern Europeans have some beautiful designs that are sadly not cheap as they use high quality timber. I'd love to know where these guys come up with cheap glass because windows of that size would cost a fortune.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top