Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Dehumidifiers

Will a dehumidifier really make a noticeable difference in temperature in a room? It sounds logical & is it true, that's essentially how air conditioners work?

We have a sunroom that's about 14' x 14' & it's joined to the dining room. There's no ductwork in that room so we can't have air conditioning there. It gets very humid on hot, humid days here & many of our bunnies stay in there.

I'd like to put our dehumidifier in the room along with the fans I usually set up.

Any truths to lessening the heavy heat?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Re: Dehumidifiers

Don't do that Autumn a dehumidifier only takes out damp, moist air and exhales 'warm' air. So, your room would actually be warmer.
The only thing really is an air conditioner.
Have you got blinds to shield the glass, it would help .....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 09:37 AM

I have a dehumidifier and often use it as a heater

To keep the sun room cool I would get blackout blinds as Patsy suggested, they can make a huge difference.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 10:55 AM

We've had a dehumidifier for years. We bought it to reduce the condensation in our bungalow. You would be surprised as to how much water it collects and how it stops the condensation on the windows in the winter. Wouldn't be any good for air-conditioning and reducing heat though in my opinion.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Great, great! Thanks for all the help guys! And Patsy, stupid me, I never thought about it throwing off heat!

Yes, blinds. I've just had dark sheets up on curtain rods (cheap curtains around here) for darkness but I think I'll go with something more solid.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 04:47 PM

It will actually be cheaper too, once the blackout blinds are fixed, that's it - no more cost

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top