Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Re: Septic Bed

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
We don't have a mains sewage system in my village. I have a septic tank which is pumped out every few months. As many of my neighbours have no bathrooms and only outside toilets, (basically just a shed with a wooden seat over a deep hole dug out of the soil) they just have soak aways to take the "grey" water.
Your septic tank must be very small to have to be pumped that often? We have ours done every 4-5 years. It costs a couple hundred bucks, we'd be even broker if we had to have it done 4-5 x per year, lol.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
LOL, I was imagining a very dirty bed that infected those who sleep in it!!
Lol, not only that, the septic 'bed' has 'weeping' tiles, what would you think of that? Lol.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
ZsaZsa just wanted to mention that in the motorhome I have a toilet and I am constantly being told that the contents of that are to be called 'black' water. The people in the motorhome world refer to 'grey' water as that which comes from the shower and the sink and is safe to put on the garden whereas 'black' water should only go into a septic tank or into a mains sewer system.

Well that's the theory, but of course not every one abides by it and the 'rules' are changing (and getting tougher) all the time. In England people don't even like your dog 'poohing' on the grass verges at the side of the road
Sorry Losos if I didn't make myself clear. By "grey" water I meant the water that comes from the sink. Where I live it's like stepping back in time as some of my neighbours don't even have water inside the house, they only have an outside tap. Every house has its own well which they used to draw water frrom before mains water came to the village. The well water is now usually only used for watering the garden. Happily I have all "mod cons" inside my house!
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Your septic tank must be very small to have to be pumped that often? We have ours done every 4-5 years. It costs a couple hundred bucks, we'd be even broker if we had to have it done 4-5 x per year, lol.
Yes it is fairly small but I was restriced to the size because there was only one place it could go in my garden. Also in this part of Hungary you can't dig any deeper than 3 metres due to the high groundwater level. The tank is for sewage plus all the water from the bathroom and kitchen. I have it emptied a minimum of twice a year but if I have a lot of visitors over the summer it will need emptying three time. To empty it costs the equivalent of £14 a time.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
Happily I have all "mod cons" inside my house!
I am pleased to read that and I'm sure you deserve to be 'pampered' a little plus running outside to the loo when it's -25C can't be good. We have an 80 year old place in Czechland where water came from an underground source, they only had mains water installed in 1980.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Losos, I've had motorhomes for many years. Grey water from the sink - yes, but I've never heard the chemical loo waste being referred to as black water. Campsites simply have chemical toilet emptying points.

We have mains sewage in the village, but outwith it, most houses have septic tanks. Back in Hampshire, there was a firm that emptied these septic tanks and on their tankers were slogans like :-

"The motion is carried" or "Poetry in motion" !!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

18-05-2014, 06:40 PM

You've never heard the song Black Water by the Doobie Brothers?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Campsites simply have chemical toilet emptying points.
'Black water' is a term used in the MMM forum (Out & About Live) sometimes, usually when there's a raging argument about whether you can drain your 'grey water' tank onto grass verges and around trees on camp sites. Fact is that large numbers of caravaners (and the odd motorhomer) are confused about what is what. Using the words white, grey, and black, helps clarify exactly what you are talking about, but as you may have noticed a lot of people in the caravan / motorhome world are not too good at listening but experts at blabbing (NOT you Grumblewagon )

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
You've never heard the song Black Water by the Doobie Brothers?
No I haven't, neither have I heard of the Doobie Brothers, I'm sure I'm missing something

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top