Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Re: State Pension Changes

I have only just turned 60, but cannot get my state pension or my bus pass until I am 66 now, which I don't think is fair, seeing that I have worked all my life.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Best to live in Scotland, (or Wales or N.Ireland). Bus pass at 60 with no travel time restrictions, free prescriptions for all ages, free eye tests for all ages, free hospital parking, no bridge tolls etc...

England is way behind the rest of the UK in many areas.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I have only just turned 60, but cannot get my state pension or my bus pass until I am 66 now, which I don't think is fair, seeing that I have worked all my life.

If you live in London and are 60+you can get a Oyster card for £10 which gives you free travel.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay...-london-oyster
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
If you live in London and are 60+you can get a Oyster card for £10 which gives you free travel.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay...-london-oyster
Yes, and it's certainly saved me a few bob over the past couple of years. Next March...the 6th...eligible for my Freedom Pass. Hurrah, free bus travel all round. And free on the underground while I live in London.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Yes but I don't live in London, in Chelmsford I can get an Oyster Card for the year but its £30.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Right!

Here's my latest 'Gen'

According to some bod I got in touch with yesterday, the magic number is £213.72.

That is the figure your National Insurance qualified years should be multiplied by, and this is from a site that seems very close to what's actually going on.

My qualifying years, according to the DWP are at present 41; 6 years more than the new Flat-Rate State Pension actually demands.

For me that means 41 x £213.72 = £168.51 per week State Pension under the new rules.
At least it seems they are finally prepared to reward those who have worked longer than others!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 03:19 AM

It is all so very wrong but, if you were born after a certain year - 1951 - I think, then the age qualification for state pension is advanced to a later time.

I was born in 1949 and worked full time from age 15 until the age of 60, giving me 45 years working, paying full tax (same as a man) and NI into the system, for which I now receive the princely full state pension sum of £149.68 per week when I turned 60, almost 5 years ago so, stevmk2, if you get £168.51 a week, then I wanna know, 'cos I've paid in the same amount as you.

I consider myself lucky because I was born "at the right time" but I feel for those born later who will receive a pittance at a later age and have to work later in life before receiving any kind of pension, if anything at all, and will have to rely on a private pension, but only if they can afford that. It really is very wrong. Many pensioners are on the breadline and can barely afford to feed themselves because of the high costs of keeping warm in winter.

Having said all that, had my partner survived, I would have given up work at age 60 but, because he died when I was 58, I had no option but to continue working part time because there is absolutely no way I could survive on £150 a week. It is true that some can but, running a car (albeit an old one) can be an expensive necessity.

In an ideal word, people who have worked for 45+ years and paid into the system should, at retiring age (60 for women and 65 for men) should receive what they've paid in, in a lump sum to last them for the remainder of their lives; but of course the government won't do that, because it would cost them a lot more. I can't even calculate what I've paid in, in tax, over the 45 years, but I feel sure it would be a comfortable sum to live out the remainder of my life stress free and not have to worry about how to pay bills, but of course this is not the case for many of our older people, and it's just not right.

Then again, folk are living longer, and are having to continue working if they are able, which doesn't free up jobs for younger folk, to whom they are paying out dole money, JSA etc so, somebody isn't doing their sums! It doesn't take a genius to work it all out.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Mollie, the state pension you get is based on how much you actually paid into the system, not how many years you paid.

The NI contributions you paid in were based on your income, the more income you made, the more tax and insurance you paid, therefore the more weekly pension you get.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 07:37 PM

so glad you explained the differing amounts Jimmy, cause my OH got his state pension this month and its only 125£ a week, hes does get another private pension too he payed into for over 30 years ...so it does make a nice small sum..But we went with out holidays abroad never had a new car always second hand and had to watch the pennies all the time ..

And still will watch the pennies .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Mollie, the state pension you get is based on how much you actually paid into the system, not how many years you paid.

The NI contributions you paid in were based on your income, the more income you made, the more tax and insurance you paid, therefore the more weekly pension you get.
No - sorry. I really don't think that's correct - in fact, I'm sure it's not.
Can you find a link which proves that? I can provide a link which calculates pension given the NUMBER OF YEARS contributions, but certainly not the amount paid.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top