Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Shortage of salt and grit during the freeze

Grit supplies are dwindling and salt is quickly disappearing from the supermarket shelves ............ so what can we use on our paths to stop us slipping?

Cat litter and dishwasher tablets! It's proving to be a popular alternative to combat the slip and slide.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8446325.stm
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 08:56 PM

Re: Shortage of salt and grit during the freeze

I saw on a programme a couple days ago it said that the grit wasnt running out as they had loads of it at the quarries but the problem was getting it to the counties that need it?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Grit supplies are dwindling and salt is quickly disappearing from the supermarket shelves ............ so what can we use on our paths to stop us slipping?

Cat litter and dishwasher tablets! It's proving to be a popular alternative to combat the slip and slide.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8446325.stm
Thanks for that Mags-my friend told me about cat litter but didn't know about dishwasher tablets......will have to get some at weekend-anything is better than nothing.

Bought our local paper today whilst I was out-one of the headings in the paper was 'grit bins on side streets will not be filled until cold snap is over' - what is the point of that typical council-they've got grit but won't give you any.......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 12:10 AM

I read about nailing beer bottle tops to shoes. I'm sure this would create a few problems though:

1. Getting out to buy a good number of beer bottles and then getting them home without slipping and falling over.
2. Assuming '1' is possible, drinking the beer purely to collect the bottle tops.
3. Fixing the bottle tops to the shoes without banging your fingers with the hammer (remember you just drunk all the beer).
4. Staying upright once the shoes are on (the beer again).
5. Ignoring the pain of the nails that have come up through the soles of the shoes (the beer should actually help with that!).

Hmm! ...I think I'll try and get some salt from somewhere.

Edit: Just a thought. Sorry if humour goes amiss. It seems a good idea to post it at the time but then later, I think it may not have been welcome. Family and friends get fed up sometimes and throw things at me.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sully ->
I saw on a programme a couple days ago it said that the grit wasnt running out as they had loads of it at the quarries but the problem was getting it to the counties that need it?
It's always the same thing in this country Sully. The media whips up a frenzy about something and Joe Public falls for it everytime. What concerns me more is the closing of schools at the drop of a hat! Can anyone remember schools being shut when they were of that age? I can't. In my opinion it is the higher paid public sector workers that the government need to get a grip of .... No work ... No pay
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Looks like we'll have to grit our teeth then eh.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 04:16 PM

When we were at school, all the teachers lived locally and so did the pupils. Most could walk to where the school was.

The catchment areas for schools these days stretches miles. I know that some of the children at a primary school near us have no way of getting to the school unless the parents drive them there. They live too far away.

A friend of ours was a deputy head mistress and the school she worked at was involved a drive up the motorway. Maybe many of the teachers in schools now live too far away to get to work without driving miles.

I think it's that, as much as anything, is why schools now close when we get bad weather.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 07:55 AM

The government have stepped in and put restrictions on the local councils as to salting roads, . . there will be no more deliveries to councils in an effort to conserve what stocks are left, . . . where's the sense in that ? . . . according to weather forecasts for the next few days we're in for more snow and sub-zero temps.

There are thousands of tons of salt throughout the UK in distribution areas, . . . use the damned stuff where it's needed, don't hoard it in a storage yard, . . when it runs out, it runs out.

Anyways, by the time it runs out the worst might be over.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I read about nailing beer bottle tops to shoes. I'm sure this would create a few problems though:

1. Getting out to buy a good number of beer bottles and then getting them home without slipping and falling over.
2. Assuming '1' is possible, drinking the beer purely to collect the bottle tops.
3. Fixing the bottle tops to the shoes without banging your fingers with the hammer (remember you just drunk all the beer).
4. Staying upright once the shoes are on (the beer again).
5. Ignoring the pain of the nails that have come up through the soles of the shoes (the beer should actually help with that!).

Hmm! ...I think I'll try and get some salt from somewhere.

Edit: Just a thought. Sorry if humour goes amiss. It seems a good idea to post it at the time but then later, I think it may not have been welcome. Family and friends get fed up sometimes and throw things at me.
I thought it was funny; keep posting! A little laugh never hurts.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
When we were at school, all the teachers lived locally and so did the pupils. Most could walk to where the school was.

The catchment areas for schools these days stretches miles. I know that some of the children at a primary school near us have no way of getting to the school unless the parents drive them there. They live too far away.

A friend of ours was a deputy head mistress and the school she worked at was involved a drive up the motorway. Maybe many of the teachers in schools now live too far away to get to work without driving miles.

I think it's that, as much as anything, is why schools now close when we get bad weather.
I quite agree. We never had "snow days" when I was in school, nor early dismissal. There was a bit of discussion here recently about that, and it is because so many students are bussed long distances to school these days; also true about the teachers, it's the rare child who can walk to school now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top