Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Preppers

http://youtu.be/TpQzYTtLC4o

Are there any other preppers in here ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Re: Preppers

I wouldn't call myself a prepper I am however prepared with a freezer full of foods, and cupboards are usually full too, more in case we can't get to the shops for a few weeks than any thing. Had an experience a few years ago when they closed our road and no one could get in or out for 4 days, anyone with no food (and it was many) were in dire straits, we luckily had just done our 6 week shop so was able to help many of them.
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Yes, it's on many levels , and as you've just said'helped many' from something as simple as a road closure , yet it shows how something so mundane can easily cause discomfort at such short notice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 03:42 PM

I certainly am one to a degree
Once a Girl Guide always a Girl Guide .
I have lots of 'just in case' items from spare batteries and camping gas to a well stocked store cupboard .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 04:33 PM

I'm afraid I'm the opposite to a prepper Alien, I never make plans, I'm one of those who believes that whatever happens was going to happen anyway and that's it, so if I'm doomed that is to be, it's been good for me up till now and I'm prepared to take the good with the bad, no point in spending your life worrying about future disasters. If I was out having a pint with that chap he'd drive me bonkers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I'm afraid I'm the opposite to a prepper Alien, I never make plans, I'm one of those who believes that whatever happens was going to happen anyway and that's it, so if I'm doomed that is to be, it's been good for me up till now and I'm prepared to take the good with the bad, no point in spending your life worrying about future disasters. If I was out having a pint with that chap he'd drive me bonkers.
Jem when you live alone way out in the country and have no one but yourself to rely on you have to 'be prepared' or starve.

It certainly pays off too as I found one winter when we had no electricity or means of getting out for days.
I got out my one ring camping stove and smuggly made all kinds of delicacies from stew to scotch pancakes
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 04:52 PM

Yep, I probably fall into the "prepper" category.

I have the essentials to survive for about 6 months at least. I am catering for loss of electric supply, loss of gas supply and loss of water supply.

I am also assuming that with significant transport disruption the shops will run dry within days.

I have lots of long term food supplies inc grains and pulses. I make my own flour, know how to make sourdough yeast so I can make good bread for a long time. Plenty dry goods like pasta, plenty tinned foods. Plenty of baking stuff like dried fruits, syrups, honey and treacle for sugars.

I have a very good water filter to make potable drinking water from dirt water like pond water etc, ways to collect rain water and plastic bottles to store it in. I have a food dehydrator to create dried vegetables, fruit, meat jerky and so on.

Everyone should have 6 months long term food storage imo.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jem when you live alone way out in the country and have no one but yourself to rely on you have to 'be prepared' or starve.

It certainly pays off too as I found one winter when we had no electricity or means of getting out for days.
I got out my one ring camping stove and smuggly made all kinds of delicacies from stew to scotch pancakes
Oh I know that you are a natural surviver Meg and I've always admired you for it. I have a natural survival instinct build into me from my poverty days, I've learned lessons back then that I'll never forget, should the worst happen I can always draw on that.
All I can say to the 'Preppers' or 'Ever readies' is good luck to them and I hope they get the disaster they are preparing for, or is that the wrong thing to say? anyway I wish them all the best.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 06:09 PM

This is an interesting coincidence as I was going to let you know about my emergency rations soon anyway

There are several shops & 2 supermarkets within easy walking distance of my home, and it is only a short bus ride to others; in summer I sometimes walk it

My kitchen & freezer is always fairly well stocked but nevertheless I have just laid in enough basic food for about 2 weeks

Canned - stew, beans, all day breakfast, soup, ham, corned beef, frankfurters, rice pudding, strawberries, apricots & peaches
Jam, crackers, oatcakes, dried mash (already have rice & pasta) Marmite, tea & coffee, milk - dried, UHT, evap., Pot Noodles, instant noodles, muesli. And whisky!
Probably forgotten a few things

The idea is that if I'm ill or the weather is really bad I can keep body & soul together without leaving the house. You will notice that they're not exactly up to gourmet standards, that is deliberate.
The idea is that if I'm ill and don't feel like much cooking they will be simple to do, and can also be cooked on my camping stove if there is a power cut - and yes, I have got several gas cartridges, plus matches, a lighter, and spare batteries for my torch

I hadn't considered water, but it has been cut off a couple of times over the past few years that I've been living here, though they have repaired it reasonably quickly. Even so, I might just get a shrink - wrap of 4 or 6 2l bottles of cheap bottled water

If you're really keen, have a look at these websites or Google for ration packs
www.emergencyfoodstorage,co.uk
www.evaq8.co.uk

If you're driving around in winter, make something similar for the car, or a 'bug out bag'
But by the time you've reached that stage you're entering serious prepper territory
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Hi

Living in the sticks now and having spent part of my life regularly being cut off in bad weather I am prepared.

The electricity supply here is somewhat fragile at times, so I do have two big leisure batteries permanently charged and an inverter to convert the voltage to 240v.

Not for my own personal comfort, I have my tropical fish to keep alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top