Join for free
Page 8 of 98 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Re: Premium Bonds

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have got a better return with p bonds than saving schemes
So how much have you won? And how many bonds did you have and for how long?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Would that not be the best point to buy then?!

Yes but you have to know what to buy .
Its a gamble too.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Well you've already stated that you have the full £50,000 invested. On that basis it is a "virtual certainty" that you will win £250 per year. There is an 80% chance that you will win £500 a year which of course would be a mere 1% return on your huge investment.

To win £1000 per year you would have to one of the lucky 5% of people in that bracket and even if you were, that's still only a 2% return.

There are savings accounts offering better returns than the average 1% that premium bonds provide. Santander for example offer 3% on up to a £20,000 investment.
On which interest you pay tax .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 11:10 PM

Bottom line is that all Lotto's, however they are presented, are for suckers. The odds are vastly stacked against you.
The odds of winning the Premium Bonds Jackpot is 1 in 27 BILLION !

The odds of winning the National Lottery Jackpot when it first began were 1 in 14 MILLION.

Either way, ridiculous odds.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 08:31 AM

Mr Realist, you may have forgotten to mention the depreciation of the value of the £ whilst it is stuck in Premium bonds for years.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Mr Realist, you may have forgotten to mention the depreciation of the value of the £ whilst it is stuck in Premium bonds for years.
Exactly Emjay. I bought £10 worth of premium bonds when they first came out, at the time I was a miner bringing home about £12 a week. I haven't won a bean in all these years but the equivalent investment today would be about £400 if I was still working.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:18 AM

My premium bonds date back to the 60's when I used to buy the odd one every now and again when you could buy them at £1 a time. Last year our wins amounted to just under £500, mainly made up of £25 bond wins.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
While this appears to be a correct statement, it isn't as simple as that...

As a rough guide, you would need to double your original nest-egg every seven years to keep up with inflation.

This is how the government have raised a lot of money over the past two decades. They have deliberately lowered the interest rates for savers, and they are the ones who have lost out.
The people who get any benefits are the borrowers, such as the mortgage holders.

Thus, the governments can correctly say that the poorer people are better off now than twenty years ago.

However, we all know that the people who really are better off are the bankers, and civil servants on obscene salaries and bonuses.

The rich get richer, and the poorer get poorer.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

So how much have you won? And how many bonds did you have and for how long?
My personal finances are nothing to do with anyone else
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Premium bonds, ISAs, investment bonds, gold bullion, what ever. What are you going to do with the money?
I have a few 'investments' that I was saving for my old age.
But I am old now and I don't need anything. My home was paid for a long time ago, and I have my boys toys.
I would like to buy good health for my OH, and maybe a bit for myself. But they don't sell it.
So my kids will get it all.
So any ideas what to do with it would be welcome.

Page 8 of 98 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top