Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 08:14 PM

yet another microwave bites the dust

After just over a year and a half it seems. Can anyone here recommend a decent model? I'd just like a stainless steel one that warms food up, nothing fancy. Of course the receipt has gone awol so impossible to see if it's still covered by any guarantee... Do you think they make them to deliberately self-destruct when they are just out of warranty???
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Re: yet another microwave bites the dust

Buy cheap, buy twice is the old saying

However, I believe some appliances should be bought cheap

Basic microwaves being one

Tescos one, stainless steel , just microwave has done daughter 2 years so far and that's done baby bottles the lot

If you wanted more from your microwave I'd say different. But for basic reheating, cooking ready meals, buy a cheapo, expect 2 years life and change it

They can start leaking
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Heck I thought they lasted forever .
I have one that is 20 years old and the one in this houses is at least seven.
Both are small simple models as only heat stuff up in them .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 08:40 PM

We had one for years when it was the cheapo looking white plastic one, but the stainless steel ones seem to go faster. I think this one was from Sainsburys. Looks like it was ordered 4 years ago, maybe it's just gone by really fast...
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Basic microwaves can be purchased very cheaply, definitely under £50. My present one I bought a month before I moved into my present house - that was in Summer of 2003. It is used several times most days. Really basic, has a timer, but not even a clock. I love it. It is neat and with a rounded back it sits in a corner taking up minimum room. Whirlpool then stopped making this model, then brought it back with a whole lot of unnecesary extras and at nearly 3x the price. When this one does pack up, I will go and purchase one of the small ones for about £30.00
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 02:41 PM

We've had a number of supermarket cheapies they don't last long, last one was a little more expensive flat bed no turntable so less to go wrong. It's a Russell Hobbs and seems to have lasted twice as long as the others ever have and no sign of any problems.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 02:59 PM

I buy Panasonic, I have had the last one for an NNSD 25 for 3 years. The one before that I had for 10 over years.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

08-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Well yesterday I bought a cheap morphy richards from Argos. Wonder how long it will last....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Buy cheap, buy twice is the old saying

However, I believe some appliances should be bought cheap

Basic microwaves being one

Tescos one, stainless steel , just microwave has done daughter 2 years so far and that's done baby bottles the lot

If you wanted more from your microwave I'd say different. But for basic reheating, cooking ready meals, buy a cheapo, expect 2 years life and change it

They can start leaking

I agree with Missy here, Annie.
I don't want a fancy digital one that roasts and grills and sings and dances.
I mostly use one for reheating or occasionally defrosting and that's mostly all, unless I want to heat a bit of milk quickly, so a cheapy manual one does for me.
I always only the simple manual ones. The present one if a Tesco one, and it does what I need. The previous one was from Asda.

Worst come to worse if they do conk out after a couple of years or so, at least they don't cost a fortune to replace.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 05:07 PM

I need a new micro as the one I've got at the moment has stopped working. Its an old one that was given to me 18 months ago. I'm going to buy a cheap one as well.
Every electrical thing I touch at the moment seems to be going wrong, micro stopped working, mobile blew up, all the electric lights bulbs have blown except in the hall, ring not working on the counter top cooker. If my nebulizer stops working I'm just giving up. 😁

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top