Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 07:27 PM

workmen with no brains

this is another cockup made by kitchen unit fitters in our kitchen before we bought the place

How on earth are you supposed to be able to replace the light switch? they had built the floor to ceiling pull out unit right up against it. The switch is on a bit of wall that is angled. To get to the switch means disassembling the whole pull out unit.

This type of thing would never happen if these morons had better training like a 5 year apprenticeship
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Re: workmen with no brains

From that photo I can't see a problem replacing the switch as both fixing screws are accessible. Granted, it's not in an ideal spot but that's bedroom/kitchen fitters for you. Would rather attempt the job themselves rather than pay a professional sparky to do it.

When I test properties for mortgage and insurance purposes, nine times out of ten there's problems in any new kitchen. The most dangerous one recently was where the original wiring in the house was installed in solid drawn conduit and the moron kitchen fitters relocated the switch for the electric oven. They did this by connecting a piece of cable to the original cooker circuit after removing it from its conduit. The conduit was also the earth for the cooker so they ran an earth from the cooker to a waterpipe under the sink. The whole lot would have become live and killed someone if a fault occurred.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 09:04 PM

no the screw are not accessable, how do you get a screwdriver in to undo them?. Please tell me.

Let alone connect a new switch.

The only way is to take out the inside and remove that side panel
What i would do is forfit some cupboard space and put in a double? (depending on space) unit instead of the one in the right in the picture same as on the other side
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Now you've posted that new photo I can see your dilemma. It was hard to tell from the first photo.

ETA: Is the switch close to the architrave also?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Now you've posted that new photo I can see your dilemma. It was hard to tell from the first photo.
Me too. That first pic was deceiving. Mind you, I might experiment with bending a small screwdriver before taking the unit out.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

ETA: Is the switch close to the architrave also?
Small angled screwdriver, and you could fit the other switch to the right of that one
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Sorry if the other photo wan't clear.
What I was thinking is, as shown in the video below, is to remove that tall cupboard and have the area for Teazles bed. Then where she is now extend the work surface to the end wall. that way same storage space

First time doing video with the Nikon D810 hand held with a wide angle nikon 12-24mm DX lens

PS Teazle takes herself to that bed her choice
Conroy
Surrey .uk
Conroy is male  Conroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 10:05 PM

One would have to be a penpushing plonker if they could not change that switch.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-01-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Conroy ->
One would have to be a penpushing plonker if they could not change that switch.
That is me then, a pen pushing plonker who did 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician. The wires in the switch box will be short to start with making it harder to disconnect/reconnect, but what do I know.

So how would you go about it Conroy ? I would be very interested to know how you got over the problem
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
That is me then, a pen pushing plonker who did 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician. The wires in the switch box will be short to start with making it harder to disconnect/reconnect, but what do I know.

So how would you go about it Conroy ? I would be very interested to know how you got over the problem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top