Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Re: Chickens or Ducks.

I agree Tabs, farm land/horse paddocks being very different to a domestic garden with neighbours and children (and their cats & dogs) running about.
Safety requirements update as well, so I'd be very concerned about using old, out of date electrical fences.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Tabs, farm land/horse paddocks being very different to a domestic garden with neighbours and children (and their cats & dogs) running about.
Safety requirements update as well, so I'd be very concerned about using old, out of date electrical fences.
Hi

My fence complies with the latest Safety requirements.

BS EN 60335-2-76: 2005
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have you checked the local by-laws, Swimmy? A lot of councils don't allow keeping live stock - and some of your new neighbours might not appreciate the noise involved. Plus you may attract foxes. Lots to think about - but it could be good!
I have to laugh according to the deeds of my house I am not allowed to keep chickens in my garden but there is no mention of pigs cows or sheep so presumably it is ok to keep them .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have to laugh according to the deeds of my house I am not allowed to keep chickens in my garden but there is no mention of pigs cows or sheep so presumably it is ok to keep them .....

Yes, it used to be in the deeds of my previous house too Meg.

Perhaps you could add a donkey or two as well?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 05:34 PM

I have a pair of Indian runners myself swimmy. We hatched 3 last year as I had a broody hen and couldn’t get fertilised hens eggs anywhere. Unfortunately one duckling got stood on by momma hen and broke the leg at the hip so had to be destroyed

Luckily the drake is very submissive to the duck so he’s not too hard on her.

He was at the vet Thursday as it seems he’s managed to break a bone in the lower leg. Antibiotics and painkillers should sort it, not mend the bone but that appears a clean break

Their pond it tiny and we clean it every other day. It’s just so they can keep their feathers oiled really

Their pen is part slabbed around their house and pond so it can be hosed down which helps with the smell and mess because there is no escaping the fact that ducks stink
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I have a pair of Indian runners myself swimmy. We hatched 3 last year as I had a broody hen and couldn’t get fertilised hens eggs anywhere. Unfortunately one duckling got stood on by momma hen and broke the leg at the hip so had to be destroyed

Luckily the drake is very submissive to the duck so he’s not too hard on her.

He was at the vet Thursday as it seems he’s managed to break a bone in the lower leg. Antibiotics and painkillers should sort it, not mend the bone but that appears a clean break

Their pond it tiny and we clean it every other day. It’s just so they can keep their feathers oiled really

Their pen is part slabbed around their house and pond so it can be hosed down which helps with the smell and mess because there is no escaping the fact that ducks stink
Hi

I love runners, very comical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMty_DRAHq8

Their housing will be right at the bottom of the garden, up against the fence to the school playing field.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Swimmy, The runners are lovely ducks but when l saw the amount of liquid poo they do, l changed my mind!

As you know l keep hens. Every morning, rain, ice and snow, l go down the garden to feed them, change their water and clean out the coops!

Then in the Summer, you are likely to get Red Mite in the coops. They are tiny little things no bigger than a pinhead and they multiply rapidly! They feed off your hens’ blood in the night and hide in the crevices of the coop in the day. They are awful to eradicate!

Then there’s the foxes snooping around the coops, scaring the hens.

Yes, l sound like l am really moaning but when l eat that delicious brown egg with an orange yolk.. l know it’s all worth it!!
Keeping hens can become addictive and the most l have ever owned at once was sixteen. These days, five is enough and one of them a Araucana is over 8 yrs old.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-06-2018, 07:54 PM

They are a lot of work Art, I agree, but as you say, they are both rewarding and addictive.
I'm getting a bit rusty with some things now, but don't the Araucana's lay blue eggs?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 09:36 PM

Yes chicken Math takes over very quickly, we started with just 3, went up to 17 and are now down to 12, the oldest are 4 and 5 and rarely lay now, but they are pets

Thinking of the lice and mites, ours are due a de lousing session this week and worming is due

Really though, other then fresh water daily, feed, grit and a thorough clean of the coop once a week, they are easy kept

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top