Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Today in my garden.

Our latest acquisition, a French milk churn planted today with an Acer. The churn is unusual in that it has a hinged lid with a locking device as opposed to the UK type with a removable lid. I've rigged the lid in the open position to make it into a feature.

Roses and acer.

Riotous rose.

Towards the NE corner.

SE corner.

Goldfinches eating and drinking.

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Re: Today in my garden.

Absolutely stunning Fruity.
It must be a special haven for you and your family.
Thank-you so much for sharing these.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Some lovely pictures there, Fruitcake.
Beautiful climbing rose too. Well the entire garden looks loved and well cared for.

If you don't mind me saying though, I think you might come unstuck with the Acer in the milk churn? Not only does metal get very hot and can cook the roots, but also, as it grows and fills the container, narrow necked containers make it virtually impossible to get a large clump of roots out through the narrow neck again.
With clay/ceramic containers that shape, the pots very often have to be broken in the end, to transplant them.

Nice idea, but personally, I wouldn't have done that. I hope you don't feel offended.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 08:05 PM

What a beautiful garden Fruitcake, I love the two ponds and your Milk Churn.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 08:07 PM

oh wow Fruity, you have a beautiful garden and the milk churn looks fab
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 08:36 PM

The milk churn looks good Fruitcake lovely unusual garden too ...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Lovely garden Fruitcake....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Some lovely pictures there, Fruitcake.
Beautiful climbing rose too. Well the entire garden looks loved and well cared for.

If you don't mind me saying though, I think you might come unstuck with the Acer in the milk churn? Not only does metal get very hot and can cook the roots, but also, as it grows and fills the container, narrow necked containers make it virtually impossible to get a large clump of roots out through the narrow neck again.
With clay/ceramic containers that shape, the pots very often have to be broken in the end, to transplant them.

Nice idea, but personally, I wouldn't have done that. I hope you don't feel offended.
Thanks for your comments.

I actually hate gardening. Maintenance, weeding, planting, they are all unnecessary chores to me. I just want to sit in it and enjoy it.
I do love the landscaping aspect of it thought. I know nothing about plants and most of what grows in our garden is out of pure luck, or is self planted.
We have another acer that we planted years ago, and never grows higher than the fence at the back of the garden. We have no idea why it won't flourish but just, possibly naively, assumed that an acer in a large "pot" will grow no bigger than an acer in the ground. I suppose we shall see.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Thanks for your comments.

I actually hate gardening. Maintenance, weeding, planting, they are all unnecessary chores to me. I just want to sit in it and enjoy it.
I do love the landscaping aspect of it thought. I know nothing about plants and most of what grows in our garden is out of pure luck, or is self planted.
We have another acer that we planted years ago, and never grows higher than the fence at the back of the garden. We have no idea why it won't flourish but just, possibly naively, assumed that an acer in a large "pot" will grow no bigger than an acer in the ground. I suppose we shall see.

I do know Acers need Ericaceous compost, same as Rhodedendrons and Camellias, if that's any help.

You've certainly got an eye for landscaping, it all looks lovely.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:02 AM

I've got an Acer in a pot but it's ceramic, very deep and very wide necked. It's been in there about 20 years now and it seems to be thriving.

I do often wonder how badly pot bound it is but while it still grows and produces those lovely red leaves I won't worry too much.

Thinking about it.......I'm sure that after the flood in 2007 the original plant died, it was one with the very fine leaves (Dissectum), and after the original died it started growing from the root stock. But actually I prefer the bigger leaves it has now as they're more robust than the fine leaves and will take more punishment.

It seems to have reached a certain size and doesn't get any bigger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top