Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Re: Today in my garden.

The pond was there when I bought the house, but everything else is my own work, including making the gazebo from scratch to an Amish design.

There are fish in the pond, but I am having a running battle with a heron to keep them in the pond and out of it's gizzard.
I have won the battle with foxes who used to come a-fishing, and I've stopped the badgers burrowing under the back fence, but at the moment the heron is still winning.

As for the flora, we bung things in pots or in the ground, or leave self planted stuff alone, and see how it grows.
So far it seems to be working out OK.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Mine used to look like yours Mags, with the dissected leaves, but since the flood it looks like this.....

I like that Acer Nicol, that's lovely.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
It actually did me a favour really, it used to get terribly scorched in the summer

I do like the dissectums though, I might treat myself to a new one and try putting it somewhere a bit more sheltered this time.
It's annoying because Acers look great as shade providers but need to be in the shade themselves. I love Acers but they are a constant battle to keep in good condition.

They are very slow growing (in pots) so when there is damage, it takes years to replenish.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I like that Acer Nicol, that's lovely.
Thanks Mups.....I don't do anything with it, I basically ignore it

I do make a point of only watering it with rain water though as I know tap water isn't good for it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 10:41 AM

I have noticed just this morning that my Acers have developed winged seeds (helicopters) I have not noticed this happening before.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have noticed just this morning that my Acers have developed winged seeds (helicopters) I have not noticed this happening before.
One of mine is covered in them Dongle..... but then it has grown very large for an ornamental tree.... it is now about 12 feet tall.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
One of mine is covered in them Dongle..... but then it has grown very large for an ornamental tree.... it is now about 12 feet tall.
Ah, so it's not just me then.

I'm wondering if I should shove a few into some pots and see what happens. I don't have a greenhouse or anything but it might be worth a try. i will have to see whether they need to dry out first.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:15 PM

I'm wondering if I should shove a few into some pots and see what happens. I don't have a greenhouse or anything but it might be worth a try. i will have to see whether they need to dry out first.

I would try dongles, what have you got to lose.
It would be smashing if it worked.

Look, just found this for you. See what you think.

https://www.wikihow.com/Germinate-Maple-Tree-Seeds
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 12:18 PM

Because my house is surrounded by farm fields my land is very fertile. If a squirrel buries an acorn it turns into a small oak tree ( I have an 12 inch Oak tree growing in my front lawn that I need to remove).
Every year I find new bushes/trees from the fruits the birds drop....... but I have not seen anything grow from my Acer seeds... and I have had it for over 30 years! I suspect it may not be easy to grow a new Acer, but it is worth a try.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 01:05 PM

What great pictures !
Just as well none of you live near me and see my messy out of control patch!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top