Join for free
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Pippa

We took Pippa to the vets yesterday afternoon and we thought we were going to be saying goodbye but she has had a reprieve with some medication to see if it will calm her down. She tried to bite me the night before when I was putting the flee stuff on the back of her neck. (Prevention not because she had flees ). She has bitten before. She bit John when he got hold of her just as she was about to go out of the gate.It was quite a nasty bite on his hand as well. We thought perhaps she was in pain with her joints as she's 15 but the vet couldn't find anything wrong. She had a muzzle on!!!. This medication is her last chance.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Re: Pippa

Hope it works for her, or pets are our family. Nothing worse when they are ill.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:56 AM

I didn't realize that dogs could get dementia until my dog was diagnosed with it. He used to whine continuously and get confused. He wasn't biting but I expect it affects each dog differently.
The medication worked a treat and made his last year less stressful for us both.
I wonder if that is what Pippa has?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear about Pippa, hope the medication helps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 01:16 PM

Newcomer, I can only guess at Pippa's reasons for biting as I don't know her.

1. Some of these Spot On's sting and burn the skin when applied.
Maybe she remembers that?
(Personally, I never de-flea as a precaution, I only use these chemicals if I see a flea. To me, it's a bit like us taking a Paracetamol every day incase we might get a headache. But that's by the by).

2. If she is an elderly lady, chances are her hearing is not so good any more.
Suddenly grabbing her if she doesn't see/hear you coming would make her jump. Could that be it?

3. Again, if she is elderly, different body parts hurt than they used to.

4. Has she always bitten, or is it only recently she has started this malarky?

If you know she is likely to bite now, maybe it would be safer all round to pop a muzzle on her before you have to treat her for anything, then her favourite treats when it's all over.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 04:20 PM

Mups, Pippa is 15 and completely deaf. We do things in front of her and she can understand hand signals for where we ask her to go, sit etc. These she will obey when it suits her but especially if there is a spoon of plain yoghurt nearby. I know who would think a dog would go nuts for plain unsweetened yoghurt but there you go.
We have always had to be careful with her as I had a very nasty bite on the back of my leg just after we got her 11yrs ago and I still have the scar.
I was out walking her and there was a lady with a child in a pushchair with a dog the other side of her. Pippa was trying to go for the dog so I went into a driveway out of the way to let them go by when she bit me.
She was previously owned by a couple who thought they couldn't have children and then they had two babies in 11months and couldn't cope so we took her on. She came with two beds a huge box of toys lots of very expensive foods and she was too heavy for a Jack Russell. First thing was to cut down on the food and get her more exercise and she seemed much happier when she found someone else was in charge and not her.

PS. The yoghurt is only once a day but she does like a slice of carrot or a bit of cabbage stalk. Oh and a bit of apple when we have one.
Sorry I'm going on a bit here. I'll shut up now and go and put the kettle on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 04:25 PM

I don't think you're daft at all about the yoghurt Newcomer
all mine love plain yoghurt too. They will sit in a row and wait for their spoonful each - it's real handy to hide a pill in too.

Good luck with Pippa, whatever you decide.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Hi Gwen I hope the medication helps with Pippa .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top