Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:34 PM

It's about Time!

I finally got round to making a widdershins clock for the front of my garage.

I wanted to mount it on an old beer barrel end that I had kicking around. I had to replace the dowels and glue it all back together, then plane it flat. Next I wanted to find a unique clock, and eventually hit on the idea of cobbling one together.

Whilst looking for something suitable I hit upon the idea of spelling out the house name, which happens to have twelve letters.
Having decided to make the clock run widdershins, I came up with the crazy idea of having the letters backwards as well as the clock direction.

I found a nice clock with a wooden surround and swapped the movement for a reverse movement I got off the internet. I then replaced the clock face with a piece of blank plasticard otherwise the characters would have been the wrong way round.

I then marked out where the letters should be, printed them off, and stuck them back to front on the barrel end before carving out each letter. I had to carve a hollow to get the clock to sit flat, and make a hole to access and adjust the movement, and change the battery.

The housename has been hidden to protect the guilty.

Checking the letter positions with the clock placed on the barrel end.

I picked out each carved letter in black, soaked the bare wood in wood preserver for a day, then gave it several coats of Danish Oil once it was dry.

The finished article on the front of the garage. I'm pleased with how the real wood closely colour matches the door and cladding.
My Lovely Cousin knew I was making a clock, but had no idea of what was involved. She tells me she is very pleased with the end result.

OK, so what time is it showing?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:38 PM

Re: It's about Time!

Brilliant Fruity. After all the troubles you had.
Thanks for sharing.
The Time???? Wine Time of course
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:51 PM

That's tricky.

With those who persevere there will be a result.

Nice work Fruity.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Brilliant Fruity !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 08:00 PM

Hi

A great jpb
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Wonderful piece of work there Fruity, it looks smashing where it’s placed too, God bless your hands.
What time is it? I’m afraid you have me there, when Spike Mulligan sang “I’m walking backwards for Christmas, across the Irish sea…” I’m sure that clock would have came in handy.

Is it 25 past 10?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Wonderful piece of work there Fruity, it looks smashing where it’s placed too, God bless your hands.
What time is it? I’m afraid you have me there, when Spike Mulligan sang “I’m walking backwards for Christmas, across the Irish sea…” I’m sure that clock would have came in handy.

Is it 25 past 10?
Spoiler alert.

It is showing ten past seven.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:32 PM

They go backwards as far as I know.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Very clever Fruity...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Spoiler alert.

It is showing ten past seven.
Unless you hung it upside down.

I had to look up windershins. Great job Fruity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top