Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Re: Help, I need some advice about magpies!

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I very much doubt that cats kill more birds than magpies, cats do not raid nests and birds are not that easy for cats to catch.
Hi

Then you need to do your Research before you post.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...bird-declines/

I am not going to do it for you, but research the Magpie Population of the UK and see how many they they would have to kill every day to match the number killed by cats.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Then you need to do your Research before you post.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...bird-declines/

I am not going to do it for you, but research the Magpie Population of the UK and see how many they they would have to kill every day to match the number killed by cats.
I bow to your obviously superior intelligence but still don't believe it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 05:05 PM

I've seen a magpie see off a cat!
I have magpies, jackdaws and pigeons but very few small birds visiting my new garden.
I've tried putting wire around the table so the larger birds can't get to it and letting them have the feeding station but it's not working apart from a young female blackbird that follows me around when I'm gardening.
I hope the smaller birds come in the winter, but hey ho, magpies etc have to eat too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I bow to your obviously superior intelligence but still don't believe it.
Hi

Not superior at all.

You are well capable of doing the research, a few simple clicks.

You simply choose not to.

Are you calling the RSPB Liars?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not superior at all.

You are well capable of doing the research, a few simple clicks.

You simply choose not to.

Are you calling the RSPB Liars?
They have been paddling their own canoe for many years and their research is not as good as you think it is, but you carry on believing it, if it makes you feel good.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 05:19 PM

I'll never forget when my sister first came back from the US, she moved just up the road from where I live now.
A neighbour had captured a magpie in a cage and was hitting the cage with a stick and making her jack russell bark at it, my sister asked why and was told it was to attract other magpies who would hear the one in distress so she could kill them.
My sister reported her to someone, don't remember whether it was the RSPCA or RSPB but they wouldn't do anything.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

21-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'll never forget when my sister first came back from the US, she moved just up the road from where I live now.
A neighbour had captured a magpie in a cage and was hitting the cage with a stick and making her jack russell bark at it, my sister asked why and was told it was to attract other magpies who would hear the one in distress so she could kill them.
My sister reported her to someone, don't remember whether it was the RSPCA or RSPB but they wouldn't do anything.
Strange behaviour.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Yep, nasty woman, local hunt mistress I believe, say no more!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 05:58 PM

Swim all meat eaters are predators, including humans, but we just expect somebody else to do the killing!

I don't dislike Magpies I was just trying to find a reason for their recent change in behavior.

All creatures have their own personalities and their own ways of dealing with life, but many cats need to kill to survive, depending on whether they are cared for my humans, so I am sure the RSPB figures are estimates. I don't think every cat owner calls to tell them when their cat kills a bird and I am sure that magpies don't let them know when they have managed to get one !
A few months ago I posted on here, to tell the forum how one of my cats was eating out of the same bowl as a magpie!

We may not like nature, but we are part of it and we probably kill more creatures ,than any other, on this planet.... so I think humans should look at their own behavior before we start criticizing other creatures
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

21-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yep, nasty woman, local hunt mistress I believe, say no more!
Figures.
Annoys me when these hunt supporters put themselves up as custodians of our countryside.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top