Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Re: Help, I need some advice about magpies!

Magpies are very beautiful birds, just saying...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swim all meat eaters are predators, including humans, but we just expect somebody else to do the killing!

I don't dislike Magpies I was just trying to find a reason for their recent change in behavior.

All creatures have their own personalities and their own ways of dealing with life, but many cats need to kill to survive, depending on whether they are cared for my humans, so I am sure the RSPB figures are estimates. I don't think every cat owner calls to tell them when their cat kills a bird and I am sure that magpies don't let them know when they have managed to get one !
A few months ago I posted on here, to tell the forum how one of my cats was eating out of the same bowl as a magpie!

We may not like nature, but we are part of it and we probably kill more creatures ,than any other, on this planet.... so I think humans should look at their own behavior before we start criticizing other creatures
Hi

Simple fact of life. cats kill birds.

The more cats you have, the more birds they kill.

Live with it.

Nature always finds it's own balance, that is how things operate.

If you keep and feed cats you are going against the balance of Nature, just live with it.

I can, so can the RSPB.

Just what is your problem with the simple basic fact that cats hunt things for fun, not just food.

They play with them, inflicting enormous pain and suffering just for fun, not simply to survive.

It is your choice to keep them, knowing all the facts, accept it.

It is however totally hypocritical for cat owners to condemn others for cruelty to animals.

I fish, I do catch and release except for those I eat.

I enjoy fishing, in the same way that others enjoy keeping cats.

I accept my responsibilities, it is about time that cat owners did.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Another sermon from the all seeing and omnipotent one.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;1445657]Hi

Live with it.

If you keep and feed cats you are going against the balance of Nature, just live with it.

I can, so can the RSPB.

Just what is your problem with the simple basic fact that cats hunt things for fun, not just food.

They play with them, inflicting enormous pain and suffering just for fun, not simply to survive.

It is however totally hypocritical for cat owners to condemn others for cruelty to animals.

I accept my responsibilities, it is about time that cat owners did.[/QUOTE

Swim, even if you don't like me opposing your post, I see little reason to be unpleasant. I was merely pointing out that the RSPB figures were just an estimate. Having been a member of their society for many years I have always known that their figures can only be estimates!

I have never suggested that you don't accept your responsibilities, so why question whether I do?

When you post on a forum it is often necessary to accept that people don't always agree with your opinion, so why get upset about it?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Twink55;1445675]
Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Live with it.

I can, so can the RSPB.

I accept my responsibilities, it is about time that cat owners did.[/QUOTE

Swim, even if you don't like me opposing your post, I see little reason to be unpleasant. I was merely pointing out that the RSPB figures were just an estimate. Having been a member of their society for many years I have always known that their figures can only be estimates!

I have never suggested that you don't accept your responsibilities, so why question whether I do?

When you post on a forum it is often necessary to accept that people don't always agree with your opinion, so why get upset about it?
Because it's being so cheerful that keeps him going?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 07:18 PM

Hi

I don't.

I simply find it hypocritical that some cat lovers feel free to criticise others whilst not accepting responsilbilty for their cats.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 07:55 PM

Talking of fishing, may 'wade' in here a moment?

Although I detest hunting/shooting/any cruelty etc, I can feel slightly more forgiving if it is only occasionally, and for one's own food. NOT the mass slaughter of shooting syndicates and the killing for amusement from the likes of the wretched hunting fraternity.

What I don't understand is fishing.
My brother has been a fisherman his entire life. Rivers/lakes and the sea.

I view it similar to any other form of hunting prey, except the fish aren't even causing any harm to people, livestock, or anything else, so why not leave them alone?

If you want a fresh fish for your tea, and can legitimately catch one, I can accept that.
What I don't understand is, anyone sitting there all day long, when they don't even want a fish in the first place.
Why catch them, then put them all back again?

I know they say fish are cold blooded and don't feel pain as we do, (I'd like to know what gory things they did to fish to prove that btw), but who is to know whether having a metal hook shoved through your lips and yanked out of your environment, then kept in a small keep net from which you can't escape all day long, for no reason other than to prove human superiority/skill, or "just for fun" is it very different from traumatising and tormenting any other creature for human entertainment?

Sorryfor veering off topic a bit, it was just Swimmy talking about fishing that made me think.

Everything has it's predators, wild cats are predators, some dogs, wolves, birds of prey, - loads of things, even some humans are hunted .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 08:37 PM

Early mornings I always see a Magpie that is hoping around on the grass outside the house but also keeps going on my roof and picking lumps of moss off and dropping them on the path outside. Not noticed it attacking other birds though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I don't.

I simply find it hypocritical that some cat lovers feel free to criticise others whilst not accepting responsilbilty for their cats.
On this thread I don't recall seeing anybody criticize others,but anyway, what responsibility can a cat owner have over their cats, unless they are with them 24/7?
My cats are fed between 4 & 5am and then allowed out, but they are always back home by 2pm and are kept in for the rest of the night. They are very content with that, and so am I, so why should I need to please anyone else?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 05:46 AM

Magpie Advice: Eyes don't work! (from about 55secs)

It happens every year.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top