Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 12:48 AM

Re: Quiz: retiring overseas

I know there are many people who have retired here and then miss their families and grandchildren, others have found they can't afford their mortgage, yet others who bought second homes here found they couldn't afford two mortgages, others no work and young children, others realise it simply isn't for them. Of course the benefits system here is very different to UK, if you haven't paid in then you don't get any. I guess there are a 1001 and 1 reasons for people leaving but in the case of the ones with young families I think it's lack of work and lack of money. However in many places the foreigners, especially the Brits, still outnumber the Spanish and there are very many who still live happily enough here.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2013, 11:45 AM

I briefly looked at what happens to the Canada Pension if one lives outside Canada and it seems there's a 25% withholding tax applied. Also, some countries impose a tax on foreigners. That would make me think twice. I'm more open to leaving the country now than I was a year ago, but only for a better climate. The less humidity, the more energy I have.
bettyespana
Costa Blanca,Spain
bettyespana is female  bettyespana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:14 PM

I wasn't fussed about retiring to Spain it was my OH who was keen.
I was the one who settled in quite quickly not him.However, we have been here 10yrs now & would never go back to UK permanently.We miss the kids of course but it is only a 2 & half hour flight away.I would not be afraid of living here on my own as we have lovely neighbours & friends more so than we had in the UK.Last time I visited UK I couldn't wait to get back here.Goodness know how I will cope in the summer when I spend 5 wks in UK,it is not the same place I left 10yrs ago & I don't even feel it was ever home.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:25 PM

We have lived here for 13 years now, we were in Kenya for two and a half years before that. My OH hasn't been back to UK since we left, he flatly refuses. I usually go for one week each year, but I didn't go last year and so far I haven't been this year. We are from the peak district and each time I go back I am quite literally amazed at how things have changed even there, unfortunately not for the better. Like bettyespana we too are lucky that we have good neighbours and friends, more so than we ever had in UK, a very mixed bag of nationalities but mostly all very nice and one way or another we manage to communicate. I think we are also lucky with the health service here, we certainly have had nothing to complain about. Sure Spain has it's problems and it's funny ways, but then doesn't everywhere? On the whole it isn't a bad place to be and at least we are not confined to the house with bad weather all year round.
bettyespana
Costa Blanca,Spain
bettyespana is female  bettyespana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 06:53 PM

I agree with Clumsy about the health service here in Spain.Last June I was admitted to Torrevieja Hospital with a suspected heart attack.Never in my life have I had so many tests & the attention I had was marvellous.Everyone in there have their own room with ensuite & a spare bed for spouse /parent etc.if needed.My room overlooked the salt lake & the sunsets were absolutely beautiful.In fact it was as good as any private hospital.The cleanliness was exemplary & the staff were really caring.
Why would I ever want to go back to UK? Thankfully I had not had a heart attack.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

24-04-2013, 07:04 PM

You use the same hospital as us betty. When I tripped in the garden 15 months ago now, we went to A&E at Torrevieja hospital, I was dealt with in less then 10 minutes, their colour coding system is excellent. I was x-rayed, scanned, you name it, told an operation was necessary then taken straight to my room. I actually got better treatment there than I did at San Jaime where I have had two small operations on my thumbs. It is so good to have your own room, I would have hated to have been in a ward full of people. As you say, the care and attention is first class, it cannot be faulted.

I am very glad you hadn't had a heart attack, it must have been a huge relief for you.
bettyespana
Costa Blanca,Spain

25-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
You use the same hospital as us betty. When I tripped in the garden 15 months ago now, we went to A&E at Torrevieja hospital, I was dealt with in less then 10 minutes, their colour coding system is excellent. I was x-rayed, scanned, you name it, told an operation was necessary then taken straight to my room. I actually got better treatment there than I did at San Jaime where I have had two small operations on my thumbs. It is so good to have your own room, I would have hated to have been in a ward full of people. As you say, the care and attention is first class, it cannot be faulted.

I am very glad you hadn't had a heart attack, it must have been a huge relief for you.
Where are you?You mustn't be far from us,we live near Blue Lagoon not far from Villamartin.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

25-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Oh you are very close, we actually live at Blue Lagoon, just up the road from Wolfies, we'll have to meet up for a coffe.
bettyespana
Costa Blanca,Spain

26-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Well I never!! Meeting up for coffee would be very nice.

I will p.message you with my phone number,then we can arrange something.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2013, 11:00 PM

no love it in Canada never live any were else this is my home for the last 33 years and no going back to the uk

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top